Afocal adaptor

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Plasmid

Afocal adaptor

#1 Post by Plasmid » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:05 pm

Looking for some diy ideas on how to go about fixing Eyepieces to an E-mount adaptor, something that can clamp onto the eyepiece collar for afocal photography. I have the mount for a sony NEX that was purchased from newhoper, but the intermediate optics provided do not provide any type of correction, and so I'm wondering if the spare Eyepieces (stereo and compound) that I have laying around could be adapted to the amount in some way!
Attachments
This is the current mount that was purchased.
This is the current mount that was purchased.
Screenshot_20210327-140148.png (244.8 KiB) Viewed 1823 times

LouiseScot

Re: Afocal adaptor

#2 Post by LouiseScot » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:24 pm

This might help / give you some ideas

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... ups#p99265

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo

Voyager-1

#3 Post by Voyager-1 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:22 pm

Plasmid,
What is the outer diameter of the eye piece tube on the body?
For starters that would help to know. Many adapter clamps are too small or big....
Several options available using the NEX adapter which has T-mount threads on the front.
Looks like you have a T mount to C mount, then a C mount to eyepiece .910 insertion tube, correct?

V

dtsh

#4 Post by dtsh » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:44 pm

I designed and 3D printed a piece that clamps onto the eyepiece and the camera. The intent was to machine one when I'm certain it is how I want it, but it's been working fine thus far so little motivation to change it. I went this route as I wasn't sure at first what sort of spacing would be required between the eyepiece and camera lens (very little it seems).

There's really not much to it and it took more effort to get the measurements right than it did to make it.
It's in 4 parts, a top that clamps to the camera and a lower that clamps to the eyepiece, secured together with 2 pins (for alignment) and super glue; you can see the parting line if you look. The 3D parts are often more rigid than one might expect.
ep_adapter.jpg
ep_adapter.jpg (89.9 KiB) Viewed 1696 times

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:11 pm

Nice camera adaper!
It really is useful to be able to design things like this. Especially camera adaptations to microscopes can be difficult if one has to rely only on ready made parts. Before I would machine such an adapter I would just print a beefier version. This hollow stuff is fairly time consuming and chip producing....