Nikon Optiphot vs Optiphot 2

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
pippo1234

Nikon Optiphot vs Optiphot 2

#1 Post by pippo1234 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:27 pm

Hi
one of the reasons to prefer the Optiphot over the Labophot is the easiness of swapping the nosepiece.
The manual of the Optiphot explicitly illustrates how to remove/install the nosepiece. This is not mentioned in the manual for the Optiphot 2. Does it still apply to the Optiphot 2?
I would be keener on the Optiphot 2 because of the 100W lamp unit, but the easily swappable nosepiece is a deal breaker.

TIA

Hobbyst46

Re: Nikon Optiphot vs Optiphot 2

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:41 pm

Fig 3 on page 6 of the Optiphot 2 manual, and the figures on pages 4-5, indicate that the nosepiece is removable. I particular, there is a clamping screw, which would not be needed was the microscope deprived of nosepiece removal.

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:18 pm

Both Nikon Optiphot models are excellent.

As Hobbyist says, both have interchangeable nosepieces. As with Olympus BHT and BHS, they are super handy for someone who uses a variety of imaging methods. You could have one "dry" for brightfield, maybe one for low magnifications (Nikon made very good finite 1x, 2x, and 4x objectives), one for phase contrast, one for oil immersion, one just to test new objectives, maybe one for your priceless objectives rarely used -- whatever combinations suited you. It is easier and safer (for the objectives) to mount them on a detached nosepiece rather than continually screwing various objectives in and out of a single turret. Eventually you may drop one or cross-thread it.

The only difference I'm aware of is that reversed nosepieces (objectives facing away from you for easier access) aren't interchangeable between the two (John A. sorted this out for us in an earlier thread). The original Optiphot (1) used a correction lens, similar to what you'll find on the Olympus BH2. The Optiphot 2 had a different and thinner mounting section and could take a reversed nosepiece without the correcting lens.

One plus for the Optiphot 1 is that the Optiphot 2 was restyled with large plastic palm rests coated with a suede-like paint that has almost always turned into a gummy mess over the years. It can be stripped and repainted, but its a messy job. The original Optiphot had an unpretentious design without these styling touches but essentially the same functionality. It's 50 watt halogen lamp, while not quite up to the 100 watt lamp of the Optiphot 2 is bright enough for most every method. In addition, it is very common to find the protruding plastic 100 watt housing broken on an Optiphot 2 - people must set it down on the back or ship it packed poorly. The metal 50 watt housing of the original Optiphot is more often in good shape.

The Achilles heel for both models is an abused and broken plastic fine focus gear. This is easily replaced with a metal one for about $50 thanks to Lothar ("Lothman.." on Ebay. Once repaired, either Optiphot has superior mechanical and focusing construction than most any new and likely Chinese model under $1200 or so and a wide range of excellent "chrome free" objectives from achromats through plan achromats, plan fluors, and plan apos - plus an exceptional variety of add-ons still available for phase contrast, darkfield, polarization, epi illumination, DIC, ergo adjustments, widefield viewing, etc.

pippo1234

#4 Post by pippo1234 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:24 am

Thank you both! I feel rather silly for having missed it.

It is Optiphot 2 then. I currently have a Labophot 2 and from what Pete writes my current nosepiece can be used only on the Optiphot 2. Ideally I am looking for just a stand with lamp.

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:59 pm

Most Nikon replaceable-type nosepieces should fit either of the Optiphots. It's just the one reversed nosepiece with a correction lens (or one destined for an inverted scope) that you may come across used and find not suitable for the Optiphot 2.

Optiphot 2 is a great choice - but often harder to find in good condition and more expensive than the almost-as-bright original Optiphot. For others considering a Nikon of the Labophot/Optiphot era -- the only time I've found the jump from 50 halogen watts to 100 halogen watts is really wanted is with 60x or 100x oil immersion DIC. If it will be years or never before that you get DIC, then a LED retrofit with something like 1000 true lumens might well be an affordable upgrade for an original Optiphot by then.

Both Optiphots are great scopes, comparable to Olympus BHT and BHS models.