What does Nikon Fluor indicate?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
pippo1234

What does Nikon Fluor indicate?

#1 Post by pippo1234 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:05 pm

Hi,

can somebody comment on the quality and suitability for non-fluorescence use of the following lens?

Nikon Objective Fluor 40x Ph3 DL 0.85 160/0.11-0.23

I am confused on whether Fluor stands for fluorite, as in better corrected for CA distortion, or for fluorescence use or both. I could not gather that from the Nikon CF brochure. I understand it is not a plan objective, but may be people know whether it is better corrected for spherical aberration than lower priced objectives.

TIA

Giulio
Last edited by pippo1234 on Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apochronaut

Re: What does Nikon Fluor indicate?

#2 Post by apochronaut » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:23 pm

It is a fluorite phase objective, so you are correct that it has better colour correction.

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:11 pm

You'll see Nikon objectives in both "fluor" and "plan fluor" versions. As you surmise, the type you cited was intended more for fluorescence. Nice high numerical aperture to gather faint fluorescence. Glass that doesn't absorb so much UV. The phase contrast useful as a companion to fluorescence for viewing cells. And often the subject of interest only what's going on in some clump of representative cells.

Given that even achromat Nikon phase contrast objectives tend to be pricey, you might consider one of these a bargain. Just don't expect single image photos to hold up at the edges of the field. I have a few examples of the non-plan fluor Nikons. The extra numerical aperture is a bonus and the images nicely corrected at the center. At the edges, while the combination of aberrations is a bit different the overall image (to me) is about the same as a non-plan achromat.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:18 pm

Might add that since our eyes are drawn to where we focus (say, the center) and can accommodate a bit if we shift our gaze even a regular achromat looks pretty good for biological specimens. Naturally, the fluor even better. Someone with more focus-stacking experience than I might be able to comment if a series of stacks could dispense with most of the problems a single non-plan image presents to the camera.

pippo1234

#5 Post by pippo1234 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:15 pm

Many thanks Apo and Pete!
How important is (near) full CA correction when it comes to phase contrast? I am asking because I already have a 40x plan and a 40X phase-contrast DL E Achromat. I love the plan one but am a rather underwhelmed by the phase contrast one (it's a bit soft). I wonder whether it makes any sense to go for the Fluor one or whether I should instead wait for a phase contrast plan one to come along.