Wild m420 vs wild m8 vs wild m10

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
wild2020

Wild m420 vs wild m8 vs wild m10

#1 Post by wild2020 » Fri May 14, 2021 2:52 pm

Hello,

I currently have a wild m8 I am curious what others though are on the difference between this and the wild m420 and the wild m10,

is the wild m420 harder to work under as there is no depth perception?

And how much better is wild m10 over a wild m8?

thanks

Scarodactyl

Re: Wild m420 vs wild m8 vs wild m10

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri May 14, 2021 7:05 pm

Thr M8 is solidly built and has very decent optics. It can still break (I recently got one with a busted focus mount and misaligned body) but it's less likely than a more plasticy scope. Primary limitations are a lack of native planapo objectives (though you can always adapt one on) and thr lack of a fine focus (harder though still possible to adapt on).

The m420 has the best resolution of the set, still quite impressive for a zoom lens, and fine focus. It isn't hard to work under at all, just missing that immediate intuitive 3d look. You'll still be able to get a good sense the structure if you move your head side to side or as you sweep focus through a subject. For photography it's a great choice. Still, the m420 has a couple drawbacks, particularly axial chromatic aberrations when using the affordable makrozoom lens which will be visible particularly on highlights. Not an issue on the better apozoom lens but they're usually ruinously expensive.

The m10 is also ruinously expensive. It's well built and having apochromatic optics is definitely going to be a plus, and of course the fine focus is nice. I have an MZ95 with a couple planapo objectives from the Leica series immediately after the m10 and it does give great views. That being said I think there is a certain prestige collectible quality to the M10, since it's rare and has a good reputation, which means deals are super rare, while deals on later Leica bodies which are equivalent or maybe better optically do pop up from time to time (not to mention other brands).

I'd generally say that if your goal is mainly to take photos with general use on the side, the m420 is probably the best option because of its higher resolution and lack of distortions inherent to a stereo system. If it's general use with photography on the side I'd probably keep an eye out for a Leica planapo objective at a good price to adapt on to your M8. If you want the best possible bang for your buck on a top end planapo fine focus stereo then I would cast a wider net and look at Nikon, Leica and Olympus systems as well.

wabutter

Re: Wild m420 vs wild m8 vs wild m10

#3 Post by wabutter » Mon May 17, 2021 3:54 am

Keep in mind, the M420 is a macro scope, while the M8 and M20 are stereo microscopes. Although the magnification range is comparable, the M420 is not inherently more difficult to work with, it is a difference of a 2d vs 3d image presented to the eye.