Adjust eyepiece width

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
boggsmtn

Adjust eyepiece width

#1 Post by boggsmtn » Fri May 14, 2021 7:38 pm

I recently acquired a B &L Binocular microscope. I need to move the eyepieces closer together. By looking in the manual and the breakdown, I think I need to loosen the screws pictured (and the two on the other side) and the eye pieces should slide closer together. Or am I missing an obvious adjustment?

Charles

Re: Adjust eyepiece width

#2 Post by Charles » Fri May 14, 2021 9:31 pm

You see the serrated area on both sides on top, just push/pull the eyepieces. It maybe very stiff from hardened grease. No need to unscrew anything.

boggsmtn

#3 Post by boggsmtn » Fri May 14, 2021 9:49 pm

Thank you. They are very stiff. When I got it, the coarse focus knob wouldn't turn. We took off the base and cleaned the hardened grease and now that works. I can't budge the eye pieces beyond a little wiggle. Would spraying some WD40 or other solvent/lubricant be a good idea?

lorez2

#4 Post by lorez2 » Fri May 14, 2021 11:55 pm

It's not a good idea to spray anything, especially WD-40, around or on your microscope. For best results the body should be disassembled and carefully cleaned and lubricated.

lorez
Nikon 80i

BramHuntingNematodes

#5 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sat May 15, 2021 5:34 am

Yes this is the problem I had. It's the grease alright. This head design is quite ingenious as it maintains the tube length as the tubes adjust for ip distance. Anyway, the get access to the parts you want the get to you should address the four screws on the reverse. Removing that plate in the front might also help get access to the stuck parts. Prob don't want to spray close to the optics, maybe try applying a little oil directly. Turbine oil or gun oil work fine. Skip the 3 in 1 as it gums up. You grab the knurled edges above and below the tubes and work them back and forth. It'll loosen eventually.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

boggsmtn

#6 Post by boggsmtn » Sat May 15, 2021 9:43 am

When you say "the four screws on the reverse", which screws are you referring to? I did find a Dynazoom manual and have an exploded view.
I have Ballistol, Hoppe's, and Rem Oil and will start with one of those before taking anything apart.

Charles

#7 Post by Charles » Sat May 15, 2021 1:35 pm

boggsmtn wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:43 am
I have Ballistol, Hoppe's, and Rem Oil and will start with one of those before taking anything apart.
Sounds like you're a gunner too! :D
Ballistol is a solvent and lubricant. Of the three I would use a drop of Ballistol on each side and then work the action back and fourth.

boggsmtn

#8 Post by boggsmtn » Sat May 15, 2021 1:39 pm

Yep! I also use the oils on my vintage knitting machines.

BramHuntingNematodes

#9 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sat May 15, 2021 3:23 pm

The four screws should be labeled 177ND on the diagram after taking those out the entire head prism assembly can be removed, giving you access to the pins and slides that are locked up. You can also adjust the alignment at that point, which I would only recommend if you can tell the alignment is off, which requires the interpupillary adjustment to be freed. Try not to get any gack on the prisms they are a huge pain to get clean.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

boggsmtn

#10 Post by boggsmtn » Sat May 15, 2021 4:59 pm

Removing the plate gave us enough access to free it up. Thanks for all the help. That grease sure hardens up!