Leica DM IRBE Inverted

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
JWW

Leica DM IRBE Inverted

#1 Post by JWW » Tue May 18, 2021 10:36 pm

I recently picked up a pretty complete Leica DM IRBE Inverted scope. I know very little about the scope itself. I haven't even used it yet and am waiting for a bulb. Does anyone have direct experience with this scope? I was also wondering IF software is obtainable for this particular scope? Someone gave me this link but they didn't know if it was compatible with the Leica DMIRBE.

https://micro-manager.org/wiki/LeicaDMI

Regards,
-JW:
Attachments
20210518_161440.jpg
20210518_161440.jpg (195.69 KiB) Viewed 3095 times

JWW

Re: Leica DM IRBE Inverted

#2 Post by JWW » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:37 am

Just an update just in case someone might have operational experience with this particular microscope. I've seen a few Youtube videos where the seller has it operational. I've acquired a few more parts.

https://pbase.com/smokedaddy/image/171761490

and the rest are here.

https://pbase.com/smokedaddy/leica_dm_irbe_parts

-JW:

JWW

#3 Post by JWW » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:15 am

After a period of 13 months of persistent effort, involving consultations with multiple microscope forums, individuals, Leica themselves, as well as microscope dealers and repairmen, I have successfully achieved the functioning of the Leica DMIRB/E with MicroManager. This achievement allows for the microscope to be software-controlled, replacing the need for manual operation, which was previously unattainable. While there remains additional work to be done, I am determined to persist in my efforts. It is worth noting that this accomplishment may be of limited interest, as only a small group of individuals possess the requisite knowledge to appreciate its significance. Nevertheless, I am proud of the results achieved through my efforts. It should be noted that in its original configuration, this particular microscope had a substantial cost of approximately 400K and required a team of engineers to operate in its confocal/laser setup, whereas I am utilizing it in its simplest form as a stand-alone microscope.

The Leica DMIRBE confocal microscope was a research-grade instrument designed for high-resolution imaging of biological samples. Confocal microscopy is a specialized imaging technique that uses a laser to illuminate a single point on a specimen, allowing for the collection of thin, optical sections from within a sample. These optical sections can be used to reconstruct a three-dimensional image of the specimen, allowing for detailed analysis of its structure and function. The Leica DMIRBE was particularly useful for imaging thick, multi-layered samples, such as tissue sections or living organisms, and was used in a variety of applications, including developmental biology, neurobiology, cell biology, and cancer research. Its ability to generate high-quality images with exceptional clarity and resolution made it a valuable tool for researchers studying the complex structures and functions of living organisms at the cellular level.

I realize the image is not spectacular as I am still in the learning stages and used the incorrect prisms for the objective being used.

-JW:
Attachments
Focus working.PNG
Focus working.PNG (126.22 KiB) Viewed 2180 times
4-FB-PS-2023-02-25-03.04.jpg
4-FB-PS-2023-02-25-03.04.jpg (169.66 KiB) Viewed 2180 times
Leica-DMIRBE-setup.jpg
Leica-DMIRBE-setup.jpg (91.71 KiB) Viewed 2180 times
Last edited by JWW on Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:46 am

Congratulations on getting it running. Mechanical systems submit fairly readily to discovery and tinkering. No so with microscopes missing their software and its documentation.

JWW

#5 Post by JWW » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:57 am

Thanks PeteM,

Not a big deal to most, but a massive ordeal for me. 8-)

-JW:

zzffnn

#6 Post by zzffnn » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:59 am

So you got the laser part working too? Wow, Lord Vader, at this speed, you are going to build yourself another Death Star very soon…….it is an understatement to say that I have goosebumps from reading that.

JWW

#7 Post by JWW » Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:56 am

zzffnn wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:59 am
So you got the laser part working too? Wow, Lord Vader, at this speed, you are going to build yourself another Death Star very soon…….it is an understatement to say that I have goosebumps from reading that.
Absolutely NOT. The lasers were toast. I thought I clarified that in my posting. There are a plethora of other components to make this function as a confocal scope. This is simply working as a standalone scope controlled by software, that being Micromanager. There are no indicator markets on the focus knob, it's an encoder. The turret is motorized as well. I simply have MM making it functional as a standalone microscope. If I get the Z-Glavo stage working in MM, then that's another accomplishment. I am a novice, not a microscope engineer.

Thanks for thinking that I might have Vader skills,
-JW:

Phill Brown

#8 Post by Phill Brown » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:43 am

That's a project I would not have taken on, sure you will get further a step at a time.
Out there somewhere are the parts you need.
I replaced a laser light pin on at the time 20 year old CD player (Phillips/Boothroyd) that was said couldn't be done,only to find it was a faulty capacitor, lesson was shouldn't have just accepted the original diagnosis from symptoms only.