Wild Heerbrugg Stereo Zoom Polarizing Microscope POL

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
JWW

Wild Heerbrugg Stereo Zoom Polarizing Microscope POL

#1 Post by JWW » Wed May 26, 2021 3:12 pm

I need a source for the replacement of a Wild Pol stage glass. Has anyone specifically dealt with this before? It appears the diameter is 61mm but I'm not sure of the proper thickness. Although I've never done so, I realize I can make one. I've looked into doing that already. I also know there's a guy on eBay that will make disc but doesn't guarantee they won't be chipped on the edges etc. Anyway, just thought I'd ask here.

-JW:

PeteM

Re: Wild Heerbrugg Stereo Zoom Polarizing Microscope POL

#2 Post by PeteM » Wed May 26, 2021 3:57 pm

I haven't found affordable replacements either. There are some options.

I recently made a few opaque stage plates for a couple Wild bases -- and recall 60mm was a good fit. Mine were made of black plastic with a textured matte finish. Don't recall the depth of the retaining hole, but it's easy enough to measure. In my case, 3 of the thin (replaceable) black plates came to the top of the stage - each one maybe a bit over 1mm thick. They were rough cut to size using a hole saw guided by a pre-cut piece of plywood to and bottom with the top having the 60+mm hole. Then turned (held by pressure in the lathe) to clean up the edges.

One could also make them of clear acrylic - recognizing scratches would eventually be a problem (but breakage wouldn't - we use scopes with kids).

Cheap (cheaper than what Ebay sellers want for stage plates) UV camera filters are also available for a fit. I've also used camera polarizers. With a bit of care they hold up surprisingly well.

One could simply rest any of these thin glass plates on top of an acrylic sub-plate to add a glass surface.

Proper 55mm glass stage plates are also readily available from Ebay sellers, so one of these could rest on top of a thin acrylic disc 60mm in diameter - or that disk machined or 3D printed to convert your Wild to 55mm plates.