Need advice on Amscope(?) SMDG-2T-6WB Stereo Microscope

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Dubious

Need advice on Amscope(?) SMDG-2T-6WB Stereo Microscope

#1 Post by Dubious » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:21 am

I recently purchased on Amazon an Amscope SMDG-2T-6WB stereo microscope, sold by what seems to be the Amscope store there.
https://www.amazon.com/7X-45X-Dual-Trin ... ext&sr=1-1
The shipping label shows that the microscope was shipped to Amazon by United Scope, LLC, which I believe is the local Amscope dealer. However, what bothers me is that nothing in the box says "Amscope." Unlike the photo on Amazon which showed "Amscope" prominently on the microscope, the microscope I received does not have the brand name "Amscope" anywhere on it or its parts (although it does look like the photo, otherwise). There was no warranty card or information. The only instruction booklet is a generic leaflet for the "SZM series" that, again, does not have "Amscope" anywhere on or in it.

Is this an Amscope product, or is the Amscope dealer selling unmarked clones? I realize Amscope puts its name on products it gets from different Chinese manufacturers; but other Amscope products I have bought at least do bear the name and come with warranty information. I guess what I am worried about here is that the microscope failed Amcope's quality control and so is being sold without the name. Or, maybe it means nothing...

lagoonatic

Re: Need advice on Amscope(?) SMDG-2T-6WB Stereo Microscope

#2 Post by lagoonatic » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:12 pm

United Scope is Amscope - a very confusing mish-mash of a business model. The markings on the microscopes themselves have gotten so confusing that, when contacting customer service, the company will tell you to use the model number on your receipt NOT what is marked on the device itself. That being said, their customer service has been pretty good, if a bit slow.

farnsy

#3 Post by farnsy » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:28 pm

United Scope is an international holding company that owns a bunch of microscope brands, including AmScope. I always find it funny that AmScope and OMAX are two of the main "competitors" for entry-level microscopes in the US and they are really the same company.

United scope's brands do not manufacture microscopes. They buy them from a small set of Chinese factories and change certain aesthetic items for marketing purposes, including a stenciled brand label. The exact same scope is often (almost always) available from various brands (or with no branding) with no non-aesthetic changes. It's impressive what you can get from Chinese manufacturers these days for very little money, but there is no reason to have brand loyalty among them as they all come from the same couple of factories, generally with no functional or quality changes.

In short, there's no reason to worry about your microscope not matching the picture or being shipped from a different place than you expected. There is no such thing as an AmScope clone. In the US, brands tend to mean something (at least, we consumers think they do), but that's not the way it is with Chinese microscopes. I also would not expect any quality control from AmScope to speak of. They provide pretty good customer support, but I don't think they do assembly or quality control. The only importer of Chinese scopes that I know of that does quality control after receiving stuff from the factory is Accu-Scope (and they advertise themselves as the only ones who do as well). You will find the same product there as you get from AmScope and others but at slightly higher price, for that reason.

BTW, my new (and quite expensive) microscope is a Chinese no-name generic that I have seen sold under several different brands names. By describing them this way, I do not mean to disparage them. Stencil microscopes can be great, you just have to realize that the label on them typically means nothing.

Dubious

#4 Post by Dubious » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:51 am

Good to hear the absence of the "Amscope" logo does not necessarily mean anything is wrong with the microscope, although it does seems strange they would not want to stencil their name on the scope for advertising purposes.

I am inclining toward returning the microscope, however. It is unreasonably finicky as to eye alignment with the eyepieces. Even after adjusting the tubes for the best fit, if my pupil deviates the slightest from center, as in looking at something a few degrees from center, I lose part of the field in that eye. The only way I can keep that from happening is to move my face slightly to balance the pupil movement, which is hard to do. I've never seen a binocular setup nearly as touchy, and suspect there is some subtle misalignment with the eyepieces/prisms/lenses. I have an Amscope non-zoom stereo microscope and it does not have this problem. If I were bolder I would take the microscope apart and try to adjust things myself, but probably more prudent just to return it.

farnsy

#5 Post by farnsy » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:07 am

I am all for repairing microscopes in general but when you just bought it brand new, that shouldn't be something you need to do. You should definitely return it if you can't get it working better.

Rorschach

#6 Post by Rorschach » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:05 am

A word of advice: buy used quality brands, not new Chinese stuff...

Phill Brown

#7 Post by Phill Brown » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:26 am

If anyone has limited to no experience with microscopes it's good to get a second opinion.
Excellent idea asking here.
I'm married to someone who finds it hard to get a good image on known excellent optics.
Microscopy is a set of skills.
The more understanding the better.
Alignment can get messed up but is less common on new from the box than user inexperience.
I got a very nice as new microscope from someone inexperienced for 25% of new cost, If they had lived nearer I would have preferred to give up a few hours to help them get the best from it.
I don't have experience of Chinese stereo microscopes, would second buying quality used.

Dubious

#8 Post by Dubious » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:39 pm

I returned this microscope. Even after struggling with it for some weeks, I found it almost impossible to keep my pupils both within the cones of light coming from the eyepieces, with the result that one side or the other was always blinking out. When I could keep my eyes in alignment, the microscope had a bright, sharp image, and after proper adjustment zoom was parfocal through the range; so I did try to make it work. I suspect there was something subtly wrong with alignment and that I was essentially acting as Amscope's quality control inspector. I know some people have trouble getting their eyes to work with stereo microscopes and suppose there's a chance it was my eyes, but I don't have this problem with other binocular microscopes, including one of Amscope's non-zoom stereo microscopes. Yeah, next time I try for a zoom stereo microscope, it will probably be a used Nikon or similar; but even used, those tend to cost a lot more. Amscope's prices are hard (impossible?) to beat, but it's probably important to have a 30-day return window in which to return any lemons.

Greg Howald

#9 Post by Greg Howald » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:44 pm

I bought a t450 from Amscope last week. It is small and extremely bright. I like it a lot but instead of being Amscope branded it has a Nexcope label. Accesories sold by Amscope work with it. Sometimes you never know what you're getting.
Greg

Rat

#10 Post by Rat » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:53 am

Si tiene un control de calidad: norma ISO 9001