I Have A Weight Problem

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
JeffB

I Have A Weight Problem

#1 Post by JeffB » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:56 pm

Greetings to all - I'm a newcomer to quality microscopes with a desire to get back to an interest in microscopy first sparked when, as boy (50 years ago), I saw my first protozoans through a cheap children's microscope. I am interested primarily in bright field examination of freshwater protists and other small multicellular creatures. I have discriminating taste, as I would like to take some photographs (at least with a cell phone adapter), and I understand the advantages of good optics from my photography and binocular experience as an avid birder and nature photographer.

I need your advice. Choosing a first microscope would ordinarily be a fun challenge. But not for me, as I have an inconvenient problem: my arthritic knees, disc problems, and fibromyalgia make it very bad for me to lift and carry any significant weight. That makes many of the quality 'scopes I'm seeing too heavy. I am also having a difficult time determining the true weight (and shipping weight) of many of the 'scopes for sale on the web. Here are some choices I've looked at so far:

Leica DMLS on ebay: too heavy, sellers who say "like new condition," while the photos clearly show nicks out of the paint in several places, and the feedback these sellers are getting isn't top notch - can't trust them.

Nikon Alphaphot YS2, with High CRI LED, well-refurbished, on ebay: $795 - seller seems to deal only in microscopy equipment, with 100% feedback rating - but how much does this weigh? Best info I can find: 12-15 lbs. That's still heavy for me, but maybe I'd risk it for a scope in this condition with this quality? What is the real weight of this scope?

Various quality Nikon, Olympus, and Leica items at New York Microscope Co. - too expensive, unknown weights.

Omax M828D5-CA - new at Omax website: $495.99 - has PLAN objectives, 20W halogen bulb, Kohler illumination, 10x and 16x eyepieces - wouldn't need any more features in future. 11 lbs. 12 oz. Yes, I know it is a "Chinese" scope, but at least one member of this forum commented very favorably on value and quality of this item.

Is there any microscope you would recommend that is relatively lightweight and still has decent quality? I started out with a price goal of about $200, then raised it steadily, trying to accommodate my lust for image and construction quality, but those two attributes seem to come with a lot of weight, as you know. I'm about ready to give up - not sure what to do at this point. Should I stick to photographing birds? (I sold my DSLR equipment years ago, due to the weight, so I'm in the process of deciding on a new super-zoom camera for my non-microscope photography, as well).

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

Jeff

Hobbyst46

Re: I Have A Weight Problem

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:25 pm

Welcome.
For microscopes, heavy weight is usually an advantage, because it means mechanical stability against vibrations. especially for photography. I would think that 5-6 Kg is the minimum weight for a good stable microscope. Truly, some 1950-1960s made research microscopes were 20-30 Kg monsters (maybe more). Although their mechanics and optics are great.

I would look at it differently. Buy the microscope without regard to weight - just avoid monsters. Buy a trinocular, that makes photography a lot easier than a binocular. When at home, the microscope need not be mobile. As long you have a fixed place for it at home, so that it is always ready for use, weight need not concern, at least as long as it does not require maintenance. Hence, I would design and install a bench of appropriate height to enable convenient viewing while sitting in front of the scope. Choose a camera that can be directly tethered to a computer via USB cable, and can be controlled from the PC software, to avoid having to stand up repeatedly to reach the camera control buttons or LCD screen.

The scope can be placed on a large tile or formica plate or quality wooden plate, that stands on 4-5 teflon-bottom spacers. So, to move the scope to and fro on the bench, it slides on the teflon when pushed. Such spacers are meant for furniture and are sold in hardware stores.

Sliding a heavy object is always much easier than lifting it. And if the scope, once delivered, can be initially placed on the bench, final unpacking can be done at leisure, part by part. Sometimes, a car's jack can be handy.
Just my opinion.

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:59 pm

Hi Jeff,
I don't know you precise sitiuation but generally I would think that choosing the microscope by it's weight is an artificial limitation that will lead to a less than perfect puchase. Other than in racing bikes weight is no important property for a microscope for most users so there is little and not very precise imformation available, making th decision difficult. There is one other aspect, your size. There are some fairly small microscopes but for long time use they are not ideal for people of average or above average height.
Depending on the available funds you might like to have phase contast or DIC for your microscope. Phase should be ideally be installed when the microscope is bought as separat components plus the basic bright field microscope cost more. If you see it as an option to puchase a DIC set you should look for a microscope where such a set is availabe and affordable.
Choice also depends on where you live as the local used market varies a lot between Berlin, Paris, Los Angeles or Vladivostok.
A generally good choice for a powerful and not too heavy microscope would be a Zeiss Standard 14 to 18.

Bob

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:37 pm

I would agree that weight is not something that should be considered a problem in microscopy - rather it is a plus.

I am sharing a desk with my computer and my microscope at the moment. Can't use both at the same time.

The solution (when I want to use the microscope) is to slide the monitor over to the left edge of the desk and slide the microscope (which is placed on a book) from the far right edge, into the middle of the desk.

No lifting involved.

This arrangement does however present a setup challenge, as I have to reset the camera every time, as I have it placed on a tripod to minimize vibrations.

A dedicated table, as mentioned above, would be even better.

If you can get help with the original installation, then I don't think that any microscope would be too heavy.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Greg Howald

#5 Post by Greg Howald » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:48 pm

I have similar difficulties. When you finally get that heavy microscope to the table where you will allow it to permanently stay, place a piece of cardboard or felt under it so you can slide it around more easily.
It makes a big difference no matter what the weight of the scope.
Greg

farnsy

#6 Post by farnsy » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:37 pm

Many microscopes (especially higher quality ones) stay put for many years, so the weight of the scope doesn't matter. Moreover, better microscopes are generally going to be heavier for reasons that have been mentioned above.

It sounds like you have the idea that microscopes are stored away in cabinets and brought out when needed. In your case, I don't recommend that. Instead, I think you should create a spot for it on a desk somewhere that is dedicated to microscopy and never move it. Ask a friend to place the microscope in its permanent home and then never worry about it again. If you are looking at used, high quality microscopes, this is definitely my recommendation.

Looks like you are considering some entry-level scopes as well. Some of these are quite light, but but be aware that, even among scopes of the same class and price range, the lighter ones will generally not be as good. Take a look at entry-level scopes that are called "portable." These are very cheap and lightweight, but usually monocular and, well, cheap.

BramHuntingNematodes

#7 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:25 pm

A Zeiss Jr or a Wild M11 are good scopes that are light.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

JeffB

#8 Post by JeffB » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:40 pm

Thank you all, for your interesting replies to my original post.

I certainly understand that weight is ordinarily not considered a problem with a microscope - it is a plus in many cases, as quality microscopes have a substantial weight, and are built for sturdiness and stability. I have done enough research and reading about the options to know what makes a quality microscope. However, at the same time, I am unfortunately not able to eliminate or ignore my health challenges to accommodate my hobbies. It is therefore also the case that I will have to consider the weight of the microscopes I am looking at, in making my decision about what to purchase. Yes, I know this is contrary to what an informed individual would normally do in aiming to buy a quality microscope - but I have to acknowledge reality. I do not have local friends I can call on to haul the shipping box containing the 'scope up the stairs to my apartment, or unpack and move the scope to the table where it will be used. That is probably all going to be done by me.

Rest assured that I am not under the impression that a microscope is normally kept in a cabinet and removed from the cabinet to be set on a table only when being used. However, it is also the case that a microscope will require maintenance possibly of a type that I am not able to perform myself. A used microscope purchased online might very well require me to ship the scope somewhere for repair sooner rather than later, if I am surprised by a problem not revealed prior to the sale, or if there is damage during shipping. It's been known to happen. In addition, I will not be living in my apartment for decades - I will hope to be able to retire from my current job and move to a different state in a few years. Given that reality, there is a high probability that I will need to move the microscope more than once.

I appreciate the ideas provided about using a sliding platform or discs under the 'scope to assist in repositioning it on a table. And I appreciate the suggestions about various microscope models to look into that might offer adequate performance and quality, with a minimum of weight. I will consider all of your comments carefully in deciding what to purchase. It is possible that I will not find a microscope that will allow me to accomplish what I would like to accomplish and be physically manageable for me. I'm not ready to give up yet, though. I'll let you know, if I am able to find something what will work for me. Thank you, again,

Jeff

PeteM

#9 Post by PeteM » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:40 pm

Jeff - Cheap Chinese scopes tend to be small and light in weight. I recall an Omax trinocular that sold new for under $300 - it seemed to be maybe a third the weight of a DMLS or DMLB. Equipped with plan achromat objectives (a few more $$$), it would be usable for photography.

There are also tiny "field microscopes" which tend to be pricey, but generally compact and lightweight. Another option is getting a cell phone camera microscope attachment to start.

You might also consider a stereo microscope for starters. Newer ones - even fairly decent name brands - will have plastic housings. With a lightweight stand they could run under 5 pounds. There's lots to see from 5 to 50x or so.

Your post is the one of the few times it sounds like a user might be better off with a value-priced Chinese microscope than a more massive used pro model.

Greg Howald

#10 Post by Greg Howald » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:21 am

I just ordered an Amscope T450. It is on clearance for less than $300.00. Shipping weight is 12 lbs.
Greg

JeffB

#11 Post by JeffB » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:15 pm

PeteM wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:40 pm
Jeff - Cheap Chinese scopes tend to be small and light in weight. I recall an Omax trinocular that sold new for under $300 - it seemed to be maybe a third the weight of a DMLS or DMLB. Equipped with plan achromat objectives (a few more $$$), it would be usable for photography.

There are also tiny "field microscopes" which tend to be pricey, but generally compact and lightweight. Another option is getting a cell phone camera microscope attachment to start.

You might also consider a stereo microscope for starters. Newer ones - even fairly decent name brands - will have plastic housings. With a lightweight stand they could run under 5 pounds. There's lots to see from 5 to 50x or so.

Your post is the one of the few times it sounds like a user might be better off with a value-priced Chinese microscope than a more massive used pro model.
Interesting, thanks Pete. I agree with your ending observation, which actually addresses the question I asked in my original post.

JeffB

#12 Post by JeffB » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:19 pm

Greg Howald wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:21 am
I just ordered an Amscope T450. It is on clearance for less than $300.00. Shipping weight is 12 lbs.
Greg
Thanks, Greg. I saw that sale price on the T450 - and I was curious about it. I'll look at it again. I think I should also look at the Omax M828, with a scope weight under 12 lbs., which comes with Plan objectives, Kohler illumination, and a 20W halogen bulb - for under $500. I could use a coupon for a 10% reduction on that price. I'll give the new and used options another look.

JeffB

#13 Post by JeffB » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:29 am

I see a refurbished AO 50 on Ebay that seems to have been refurbished to OEM specs by a skilled, former-pro authorized microscope technician. It looks very nice in the photos - little cosmetic damage showing, and looks very clean. He says it's been lubed and all lenses cleaned and tested. It has a new 20-watt illumination system, and a new on-off switch. The bidding is starting at $159.95, plus shipping. Is that scope really only a bit over five pounds in weight?

Can I easily find a power supply for this scope? It has four finite objectives (4x, 10x, 45x and 97x oil).

What do you think about this offering - aside from the fact that it is not a trinocular scope, which is not a deal breaker for me? As I said, I'm interested in bright field viewing, with undemanding photo plans.

lorez2

#14 Post by lorez2 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:38 am

If you want a good inexpensive scope that is light send me a PM.

lorez
Nikon 80i

hans

#15 Post by hans » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:13 am

sawmill33606? Those are relisted frequently and rarely sell at the starting bid. I have a 150 (same basic stand as the 50, I think?) and it is the same size and only slightly lighter than a 10 so maybe dtsh's could be another option: https://www.microbehunter.com/microscop ... 16&t=13061

Looks like sawmill33606's listings for 50s mostly have the basic (non-plan) achromats while dtsh's 10 has plan objectives except for the 100X. The difference is pretty noticeable, especially the little stubby 4X which is awful compared to the 4X plan achro.

Scarodactyl

#16 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:38 am

I think the lightest scope I have ever handled was the Leica/Bausch and Lomb Stereozoom 6. It is a true featherweight.

dtsh

#17 Post by dtsh » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:17 am

I haven't handled an AO 50 so can't comment about it's performance, but if you consider one make sure it has a mechanical stage; it makes a world of difference.
The 50 shares the same objective design with the 10, though the build quality in general isn't as nice and they often only have a 3 objective nose/turret. If they're anything like the 150, if you put in some decent 176 or 184 eyepieces it should perform pretty well.....but at that point one has probably spent as much as for a series 10. I can't comment on weight, as I don't have one, but my 150 weighs in at 4.1kg/9lbs and my darkfield 10 is 7kg/15.5lbs.

JeffB

#18 Post by JeffB » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:27 pm

Thank you for your responses. I’m going to keep looking. I’m leery of eBay sellers - it’s difficult to really know what you’re getting, and without returns being accepted it’s even more risky for those of us not equipped to do refurbishing.

dtsh

#19 Post by dtsh » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:22 pm

JeffB wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:27 pm
Thank you for your responses. I’m going to keep looking. I’m leery of eBay sellers - it’s difficult to really know what you’re getting, and without returns being accepted it’s even more risky for those of us not equipped to do refurbishing.
When dealing with eBay it is important to know that listing an item as "used" means it is in working order, if it isn't you can return it at the seller's expense. Items that are incomplete or that need repair should be listed as "For parts or not working". Many sellers, especially at the lower end of pricing, abuse this and sell items claiming they were "just removed from a working environment" when a close look shows there's no possible way that the instrument could be used as-is. It pays to be a well informed purchaser, but when one follows the rules as structured by eBay there is very little risk. Always read carefully what is written and ask the seller to clarify any questions you might have. If you get something "used" and it's not actually usable, open a case with eBay and they will make the seller resolve it. A "No returns" policy only covers them in the case of you changing your mind, if an item is sold as "used" but is broken, incomplete, or otherwise non-functional, you can open a case with eBay and return it.

JeffB

#20 Post by JeffB » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:41 pm

dtsh wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:22 pm
JeffB wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:27 pm
When dealing with eBay it is important to know that listing an item as "used" means it is in working order, if it isn't you can return it at the seller's expense. Items that are incomplete or that need repair should be listed as "For parts or not working". Many sellers, especially at the lower end of pricing, abuse this and sell items claiming they were "just removed from a working environment" when a close look shows there's no possible way that the instrument could be used as-is. It pays to be a well informed purchaser, but when one follows the rules as structured by eBay there is very little risk. Always read carefully what is written and ask the seller to clarify any questions you might have. If you get something "used" and it's not actually usable, open a case with eBay and they will make the seller resolve it. A "No returns" policy only covers them in the case of you changing your mind, if an item is sold as "used" but is broken, incomplete, or otherwise non-functional, you can open a case with eBay and return it.
Thank you for your thoughtful response. I have a bit of experience dealing with people on Ebay, and I am fairly decent at spotting sharp dealers, incompetent sellers, and outright liars. It is fortunate that Ebay is fairly responsive to reports of misleading descriptions, unresponsive sellers, etc. Ebay has even insisted on a refund of my purchase price before I submit a claim, on a few items. Those were very inexpensive items, however, and I would be more careful about purchases of the amount required to get a decent microscope, because or the increased risk, and the fact that I simply have very limited energy and time for dealing with returns, or facilitating repairs of unexpected mechanical problems.

I will continue to look at offerings there and at reputable resellers. Thanks to all for your input - I've learned a great deal from you, and the other members of this forum, already.

JeffB

#21 Post by JeffB » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:34 pm

What do you think about this offering? I have no idea what condition this is really in, mechanically - the claim sounds good....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/384231502702?h ... SwcXhgznEM

I submitted questions to the seller about the specific type of objectives, the mechanical and optical condition, what type of illumination system it has, and what it weighs.

dtsh

#22 Post by dtsh » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:00 pm

JeffB wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:34 pm
What do you think about this offering? I have no idea what condition this is really in, mechanically - the claim sounds good....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/384231502702?h ... SwcXhgznEM

I submitted questions to the seller about the specific type of objectives, the mechanical and optical condition, what type of illumination system it has, and what it weighs.
The 45x is probably a Cat 1116 (achromat), the rest could be a couple of model numbers, I couldn't tell from the pictures. The eyepieces look to be Cat 138, so the field of view in them will be pretty narrow; usable, just not as wide as the instrument can handle. If you can get the objective catalog numbers, usually a 4 digit or 3 digit number, i.e. 1019, 130, etc, you can get a better idea of what to expect. In general, I think that's a reasonable price for what looks like a decent instrument considering it includes shipping. My 150 is a phase contrast model so it's not exactly apples to apples, but I like it and enjoyed it while it was on my bench.

A pair of 176 eyepieces costs around $50 give or take; the 138's work fine and I suppose it's possible you won't ever desire widefield if you don't look through anyone else's microscope. :P

PeteM

#23 Post by PeteM » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:06 pm

The Ebay listing is a usable scope, but not nearly as competent as one DTSH has up for sale here and only slightly heavier (plus a separate power supply than can be handled alone).

If you're determined to get the lightest possible microscope then a cheap Chinese version will be a couple pounds lighter and in your price range.

It's hard to put myself in your shoes, but I imagine that if I were seriously limited in weight carrying capacity, I'd be inclined to rig up sliding platforms, trolleys, overhead balancers, lift tables, lazy Susans, monitor stands etc.to get in place and stowed away as needed -- and try to buy the best and most ergonomic microscope my $200 could buy. Having a scope the right height, with smooth focusing and stage controls, and good optics would likely mean more to me than whatever preparations were needed to get the scope in place on a desk - and then tucked away after.
Last edited by PeteM on Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dtsh

#24 Post by dtsh » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:14 pm

PeteM wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:06 pm
The Ebay listing is a usable scope, but not nearly as competent as one DTSH has up for sale here and only slightly heavier (plus a separate power supply than can be handled alone).
Well that one is gone, I'll have another in slightly better cosmetic condition up in a short while though. I do agree that the 10 is a much nicer instrument than the 150 in just about every aspect
PeteM wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:06 pm
If you're determined to get the lightest possible microscope then a cheap Chinese version or a "field microscope" will be a couple pounds lighter.
Agreed. If weight is the biggest concern, a careful selection of the various import models would likely find a reasonably good, not terribly expensive, and lightweight model.

JeffB

#25 Post by JeffB » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:57 pm

Thanks dtsh and PeteM. You helped me significantly. I didn’t know how the AO scope dtsh has compares to the 150 Series. I’ll wait for the offering from dtsh.

Yeah, My body really can’t handle lifting the weight of any of these items, but I’m too darn picky about quality to give up on the sturdier choices. However, I will look at some Amscopes again. I should consider all the options, and certainly there are many Amscope customers who are perfectly happy with their microscopes.

dtsh

#26 Post by dtsh » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:33 pm

The 150 and the 10 use the same optics design, though the 150 often have less expensive objectives installed. There's nothing wrong with the "student model" objectives, they perform nicely but aren't quite as nice as some of the more professional ones; all are interchangable with others in the 34mm infinity series which were used on pretty much all of the infinity microscopes AO offered until the 300 and 400 series. The mechanical stage on the 150 is nowhere near as nice as that found on the 10, but it is a decent stage and works fine. AO made the head and body thinner and less expensive, but compared to newer scopes the 150 series is still a tank.

The Series 10 is about 16lbs, not counting transformer (it unplugs and can be handled separately) if this is acceptable, I'll happily build one out especially for you and let you pick and choose what parts you want. I have just enough parts to build one more typical Series 10 stand (4x, 10x, 45x, 100x) and the other one will get some of the more unusual parts (20x objective, vernier stage, aspheric condenser, halogen illuminator). The more unusual parts will cost a little more and it's not all or nothing, but I will be as reasonable as I can if you want them; otherwise I can put them on the other stand.

If weight is your primary concern, I would talk with some of the AmScope users here and get their opinions and see if some would be willing to weight their scopes for you.

Where it comes to lifting and moving a microscope, I would very much encourage you to find a nice place where you want to setup and just leave things there if you possibly can. Every time equipment gets moved, there's a chance of accidental damage and even if that never happens, it's inconvenient. I realize we all don't have the space we might want (I don't) so not everyone can do it, but if it is at all possible that would be what I would suggest.

hans

#27 Post by hans » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:59 am

For 150s might also want to check lamp availability. My Reichert-Jung branded 150 specifies Philips 13528 which is a 6V 15W bi-pin reflector bulb I could not find an inexpensive source for. Ended up bypassing the internal power supply and using a mechanically-compatible 12V 20W type (still easily/cheaply available) with an external power supply. There are some minor differences in the newer R-J 150s compared to the older AO ones, not sure if they use the same type of lamp.

JeffB

#28 Post by JeffB » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:43 pm

Thanks to dtsh, hans and others who have provided helpful information in response to my original post. Unfortunately, I had a discouraging doctor visit this morning, and received a stern warning about aggravating my arthritic knees and ending my ability to walk, commute to work on the bus and subway, etc. I will have to put my hope for a high-quality microscope on hold for a bit, and regretfully decline the generous offer from dtsh to build a AO Series 10 that would work.

I very much appreciate all of the effort of forum members to answer my questions and educate me about various microscope options. I assure you that none of that information is going to be wasted, as I will make a purchase at some point, even if I have to wait until I can get artificial knees. In the meantime, I will dream about putting achromatic lenses in a Carson Microflip.

Jeff

BramHuntingNematodes

#29 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:31 am

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1930S- ... 890.l49286

Take a look. The Model R is old. It is not a professional microscope. It is certainly not a toy, however, and is capable of magnification s from 45x to 300x by unscrewing and moving parts on it. The resolution is perfectly acceptable s well. These are good magnifications for pond life and small bugs. This is about as inexpensive and light a scope as you'll find, and very classy to boot. Something to think about.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

JeffB

#30 Post by JeffB » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:40 pm

The Model R looks like a very charming vintage scope. I’ll take a look, thanks.