Wild Heerbrugg M8 scraping noise on zoom

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Post Reply
Message
Author
wild2020
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:23 pm

Wild Heerbrugg M8 scraping noise on zoom

#1 Post by wild2020 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:22 am

I have a wild m8 it works perfectly but recently it's started making a scraping noise between 6x and 9x does anyone have any tips? I guess I will have to take it all apart as I don't want to use it in this state in case I am causing damage to it although it still does work perfectly.

any insight's most welcome

thanks

Scarodactyl
Posts: 1418
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:09 pm

Re: Wild Heerbrugg M8 scraping noise on zoom

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:20 am

The mechanics of an m8 are pretty intuitive, don't be too afraid of opening it up. It kind of sounds like you might have something on the rails, maybe hardened grease. A little bit of relubing with turbine oil might be in order.

Rorschach
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:44 am

Re: Wild Heerbrugg M8 scraping noise on zoom

#3 Post by Rorschach » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:03 am

Scarodactyl wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:20 am
The mechanics of an m8 are pretty intuitive, don't be too afraid of opening it up. It kind of sounds like you might have something on the rails, maybe hardened grease. A little bit of relubing with turbine oil might be in order.
Which turbine oils are you using with good results? And are they available in Europe (assuming you are from NA)?

PrecisionInstruments
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon May 06, 2019 11:44 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Wild Heerbrugg M8 scraping noise on zoom

#4 Post by PrecisionInstruments » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:48 pm

Original factory lubricant is
Kluber Isoflex Topas NB 5051
I have to buy in 1Kg tub due to location. Should be able to source smaller quantities if in Europe I would imagine.
Use sparingly
I have a headache, For which the future’s made

Rorschach
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:44 am

Re: Wild Heerbrugg M8 scraping noise on zoom

#5 Post by Rorschach » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:34 pm

PrecisionInstruments wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:48 pm
Original factory lubricant is
Kluber Isoflex Topas NB 5051
I have to buy in 1Kg tub due to location. Should be able to source smaller quantities if in Europe I would imagine.
Use sparingly
Thanks for the info. Was this lubricant used in all of the other Wild stereos as well, i.e. M7, M3 -series, M10 and M5A?

Would use of this lubricant be recommended when the parts in question are not pre-cleaned and are grubby with old lubricant? I mean if there's already scraping noises, would turbine oil treatment be better?

PeteM
Posts: 1726
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:22 am
Location: N. California

Re: Wild Heerbrugg M8 scraping noise on zoom

#6 Post by PeteM » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:39 pm

Here's some data on the above mentioned grease (thanks, PrecisionInstruments!). It does sound ideal for the application:

Kluber Isoflex Topas NB 5051

If you can't find it in an affordable size and replace it with something else, you'd want similar properties - a light grease, that resists aging, oxidation, and out-gassing. Unlike helicoid or damping greases -- you want something that's not viscous and "starts" and runs easily for small gears and sliding surfaces.

Best practice in swapping greases is to thoroughly clean off the old stuff since grease bases and thickeners are sometimes incompatible and stiffen up over time. Given the longevity of these Wild scopes, it's possible it was either never re-lubed or improperly re-lubed over time - contributing to the current problem?

An expedient is to clean things off, get rid of any hardened grease, and if things look pretty decent to add a drop or two of relatively pure (no or few additives oil). Starrett instrument oil is a relatively common and affordable example for small quantities. "Turbine oil" is often another example of a relative pure light oil. Note that any sulfur containing oil (as in some automotive oils with EP -- extreme pressure -- additives) is a no-no for anything with brass or bronze parts. And you'd likely want a proper light grease and not a light oil if doing a complete overhaul.

It could be that the OP's problem is gunk stuck at one of the sliding locations of the zoom (or perhaps higher in the head between some gear teeth). Clearing that and applying just the tiniest bit of oil (toothpick or dropper) might do the trick.

PrecisionInstruments
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon May 06, 2019 11:44 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Wild Heerbrugg M8 scraping noise on zoom

#7 Post by PrecisionInstruments » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:15 am

Rorschach wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:34 pm
PrecisionInstruments wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:48 pm
Original factory lubricant is
Kluber Isoflex Topas NB 5051
I have to buy in 1Kg tub due to location. Should be able to source smaller quantities if in Europe I would imagine.
Use sparingly
Thanks for the info. Was this lubricant used in all of the other Wild stereos as well, i.e. M7, M3 -series, M10 and M5A?

Would use of this lubricant be recommended when the parts in question are not pre-cleaned and are grubby with old lubricant? I mean if there's already scraping noises, would turbine oil treatment be better?
Yes. It was also used for M3, M7 & M10. The M5 has a different construction being a magnification changer rather than magnification zoom. It is also used throughout the MZ series.

Only on the cam and guide rods though. The bushings of the zoom axis and zoom frame is a different lubricant, I have never worked out which I am afraid. By the time I had knowledge on how to dismantle the zoom body that far, the old lubricant was unrecognisable.

I would always clean the guide rods and cam before re-lubricating. They’re easily accessible.

I would assume the scraping noise you are experiencing is between the bushing of horizontal zoom axis shaft and zoom body. I have a lubricant which I use for this though I do not know it’s original code. Leica/Wild call it 501 paste (their own code), though it is a Losimol lubricant with a different code.
I have a headache, For which the future’s made

Post Reply