Nikon SMZ-U repair info?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
PeteM

Nikon SMZ-U repair info?

#1 Post by PeteM » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:01 am

I've acquired most of an SMZ-U in need for what might (hopefully) be minor repair.

Does anyone have a link or a copy of a Nikon SMZ-U repair manual?

On edit - I was able to safely open it up and find the first problem.

PeteM

Re: Nikon SMZ-U repair info?

#2 Post by PeteM » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:11 pm

Just to help others - the SMZ-U has rubber focus knob covers. These can be pried off revealing socket head screws attaching the knobs. Once the knobs are off, the four screws at the top and the four at the bottom open up the plastic clam-shell housing. Once inside, the mechanism is very well made and elegantly enough designed for such a wide range 10x zoom (simpler and more robust IMO than something like a B&L StereoZoom 7x zoom for example).

In my case one of the plastic zoom knobs had been partly shattered inside by excessive force or having been rotated with the other held. This left it freely rotating with no zoom and bits of plastic rattling around. It was possible to repair it by making inner and outer collars out of thin tube where the broken parts had been, filling the gap with epoxy, and re-machining the inner ID for the shaft and cutting a cross slot were a drive pin goes. I believe it should hold up OK.

Still haven't found a repair manual if anyone has a source - but the zoom part is now working properly.