Jena oo

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
apochronaut

Jena oo

#1 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:46 am

Does anyone know what the reference length of the Jena infinity system was?

patta

Re: Jena oo

#2 Post by patta » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:01 am

200 and 250mm probably, maybe some more.

One is the GF 250 system (or CF-250), tube length should be the namesake 250mm (hopefully). Stand Jenamed and the likes, black objectives "GF planachromat" with M25x0.75 thread (or M30?), 45mm pfl; 32mm field. There was a demagnification system, but (hopefully) the objective magnification is defined for 250mm tube.
For the infamous objectives with M19 screw instead of RMS, I think it is 200mm (the NU 1 stand is listed with 200mm tube lens).
Others, with civilized RMS, I don't know, maybe other lengths.

Infos from the random heap of catalogs at
https://www.mikroskop-online.de/mikroskope/anleitungen/ They sell mostly old Jena stuff so they should know.
Maybe at the main German forum they've done the digging properly and know the full list of tube lengths during the ages...
mikroskopie-forum.de
Last edited by patta on Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 10 times in total.

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:36 am

The 19mm oo objectives were for epi illumination in the 160mm era, usually for use without cover slip, straight chromed barrels.

patta

#4 Post by patta » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:38 am

So the M19 oo were designed to be used with an epi attachment, with built-in tube lens and spacing, so the assembly worked as a finite "160mm"?
Last edited by patta on Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

patta

#5 Post by patta » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:13 am

Ok ok I had nothing better to do.

Tried to measure the focal length of one Jena M19 oo, nominally 100x. Oil immersion, no coverslip. Unknown age or stand.
Method: Photo of calibration slide, with tube lens of 150mm FL at infinity. Focal length objective = Tube lens FL * (size calibration slide / size image)
I hope it does not depend on objective-tube lens distance.
Result:
Focal length 100x = 2,54 mm plus minus something
Therefore, the reference tube length is 10 inches?? :lol:

The objective in question also throwed out a ludicrously large and flat field (for my standards), like 19mm with the 150mm tube lens; should become 32mm for a 250mm tube lens. So, surely it is not from the 1950s. But showed an even more impressive lateral chromatic aberration. It may be something made at the same epoch of the CF-250 (1982-199x) but not CF.
Last edited by patta on Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:29 am, edited 9 times in total.

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:59 am

The 19mm objectives typically were used an a Zeiss Jena NF of the 1960s, a 160mm stand where an epi illuminator is attatched instead of the nosepiece. There will have been a later epi system, but I have no experiene with it.

apochronaut

#7 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:46 am

I know there were those 30mm thread objectives used on the Jenamed. I should have been more specific. The objective I am referring to is M19 63X .80 oo/.17. would it be 200mm?
I have heard that they require special eyepieces, otherwise there is a high degree of lateral ca, so I presume that there is some correcting in the telan lens and some in the eyepieces?

patta

#8 Post by patta » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:11 pm

ok your objective is in the Zeiss Jena NF catalog, but they don't say anything about your details there.
Wait for MicroBob then.
The M19 objective I've measured is likely from a different, later system. It has monster lateral CA.

apochronaut

#9 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:26 pm

patta wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:11 pm
ok your objective is in the Zeiss Jena NF catalog, but they don't say anything about your details there.
Wait for MicroBob then.
The M19 objective I've measured is likely from a different, later system. It has monster lateral CA.
Wouldn't that just be because it's corrective requirements aren't being met in the downstream optical arrangement? That is where I am coming from partially. I read somewhere that unless you use the eyepieces and telan lens that were catalogued for those M19 objectives, heavy lateral ca is the result.

Note that this is an infinity corrected objective. Was the NF not a 160mm stand?

patta

#10 Post by patta » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:45 pm

exactly, for testing the objective I've used a photographic lens as tube, which is neutral for CA etc.
After one year browsing this forum I've become well aware of the compensation issues :D but can't stop fiddling in the eyepieces mix&match game.

I'm actually interested in this thread so maybe I'll understand how to use my M19 objective which looks great apart for the CA.

Yes the NF was finite, but the Polarization and Epi attachments not - if I've understood correctly, they have a Telan lens inside. So you take an NF stand ("finite"), put the Pol nosepiece attachment and it becomes infinite. Sort of hybrid? I couldn't find a drawing or technical specs for the attachments. The NU and NU2 instead were infinite, with tube lens built in.
Last edited by patta on Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apochronaut

#11 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:57 pm

Looking at that great reference list you linked to, patta, it looks to me like this objective is from an NU?

Was the 19mm not a design tool, so that infinity and 160mm objectives could not be confused ?

patta

#12 Post by patta » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:08 pm

Yes, 63 0.80 Pol in the NU, but also with the NF Polarization that was likely a cheaper and much more common stand.
Some German may tell us the whole story with the juicy details. I've been driven mad some time ago digging in those old catalogs.

The M19, maybe, I hate it. I've covered the M19 thread with hot glue and screwed it into the RMS. Aha! Now has a flimsy RMS thread. Rafcamera wants 35$ for the adapter ring.
The Russians plainly cloned the Jena's NG/NF stand for their Biolam... but wisely skipped the M19 thread.

apochronaut

#13 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:20 pm

I have seen those prices. I have lots of old objectives, delaminated, missing front lenses, etc. My idea is to cut the thread off the back of one, and tap an M19 thread inside. I just have to gauge the thread pitch, . An M19 tap from China will be cheap.
Due to the thinness of the wall and shallowness of the thread depth, i will probably ream an old objective barrel to the correct thread tapping diameter and cut the thread part way in, prior to lopping the adapter off. This would allow me to hold the barrel efficiently in a chuck.

MicroBob

#14 Post by MicroBob » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:29 pm

I'm not sure if I can add useful information but I try:

-The 1960 Zeiss Jena NF is a research model comparable to a Zeiss West WL
-160mm tube lenght, RMS tread, eyepieces depending on objective, correcting or non-correcting
-The stage can be lowered to give room for a sidepipe epi unit, bright field, dark field, epi pol.
-The Epi objectives are oo, M19 and are screwed into single ring mirror holders
-I can't tell for sure but I would expect that NU and NU2 will have used the same objectives, no extra set for this low volume model
-The Lomo Biolam is a copy of the Zeiss Jena Lg from 1934 or so
-Apos 0.17 objective doesn't make sense with the epi setup for the NF so probably for the NU or something completely different
-On the NF the M19 epi objectives give good images see attatched photo

Bob
Attachments
Edelstahlgitter Auflicht klein.jpg
Edelstahlgitter Auflicht klein.jpg (165.81 KiB) Viewed 5959 times

apochronaut

#15 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:15 pm

I couldn't find much about the NU objectives in the links that patta suppled but I haven't exhaustively gone through the text section. They have the pictures separated ftom the text in separate links. There is a nice picture of a set of 160mm ones for the Jenaval, I think it is. I did find a grainy picture of the stage of the NU , fitted with transmitted light objectives and you can just barely make out the infinity symbol and .17 on one of them. My objective looks exactly like those, so I am concluding it is from the NU.
My objective for the objective was to use it in a series 400, since 60/63X for those are just slightly hard to find......and if you do find one, it will be glycerin or oil, NOT dry. However, it is terribly incompatible in compensation requirements with the other good objectives available for that microscope.

BUT and this is a big but. I have found that at least 2 and maybe 3 eyepieces provide excellent compensation for it in the series 400. There are no doubt others but I only found these in the bunch I have. I have not tried any older B&L older widefield eyepieces but will at some point. Reichert PK eyepieces give excellent edge to edge planarity and colour but they are a little shy of field at about 17mm. I'm pretty sure there were other wider field eyepieces in that series, used on the "var" family of scopes.
The other good one was an Olympus Bi WF 10X. This was a wide field compensating eyepiece for the Olympus shorty objectives. They have a rather large lens chamber with an eyeglass relief section above the eyelens. The f.o.v. is probably 18, so pretty good. They provide crisp, edge to edge, well corrected imsging with that Jena planachromat. Not to be confused with the similar looking but larger WK 10/20L Olympus eyepiece. It gave a lot of lateral ca.

The point of all this is that, if you wanted to equip a Microstar IV or Diastar with a nice set of planapos and had the time and energy or didn't mind the 30.00 a pop to convert the threads over, you probably could find a set of those old Jena planapos at very low prices, compared to what you would pay for even Reichert planapos.
There are probably 20mm f.o.v. eyepieces around that work as good as those old Olympus eyepieces but even those old Olympus eyepieces work great.

MicroBob

#16 Post by MicroBob » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:11 pm

In the NU2 brochure your objective is pictured - is it this one on page 6?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... egUIARCjAQ
In the german forum a knowledgable chap wrote that these planachromats were good but not quite up to the correction of the Zeiss West planachromats but the apos were great. But no trace of a reference lenght in the forum. The NU and NU2 were built into a hefty table so comparatively few will have been rescued when they were scrapped. I'm not aware of anybody in the german forum whu uses one.

apochronaut

#17 Post by apochronaut » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:22 am

Thanks, Bob. Yes, that is the objective. I thread it in using several wraps of that teflon pipe fitters tape. With the Olympus Bi WF 10X the obective works nicely.. Maybe not quite up to the planachros made for the microscope but very good. I can only imagine that the planapos would be great. Hopefully those planapos didn't go to scrap too?
Last edited by apochronaut on Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

MicroBob

#18 Post by MicroBob » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:21 am

Hi Phil,
I don't know of many planapos from Zeiss Jena of this time there have been actually. I know of a 4:1 planapo but most apos of this era were not fully planar. With the CF 250 system the planachromats were said to be actually pflanfluorites and there were planapos instead of the former apos. But I don't kno wmuch about the CF 250 system.

Bob

patta

#19 Post by patta » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:51 pm

Hmm, so, now I understand some more about those M19s!

I've read somewhere (?) that for the CF-250 system, PlanApochromat were made, but with some untested new glass or cement that in few years deteriorated; so there should be no Planapos surviving today.
Catalog photos with the ambitious range of objectives: https://www.funsci.it/files/obb_zeiss_jena.pdf
I'm so informed because it's one system I'll dream to have. Or a Metalloplan. And a Microzoom. and... but no real direct experience.

About Plan-Apos with M19, mine is one: GF-Planapochromat, HI 100x/1,35 oo/0 -C. They pop up on ebay, like from eastern Europe. Sometimes the 100x as this one but with iris :) . Other magnifications also. Prices random, above 100 Eur they stay unsold, below that some goon like me bites.
The -C in the name may mean "Compensating" by some speculators. (The matching eyepiece instead was K as Kompensator?). The black objectives of CF-250 have same names but an -A instead (A means Achtung!).
The M19 Planachromats, I've seen some with the GF lettering but more often without. The bodies of the M19 GF-series looks similar to the CF-250 and may come from the same epoch (1980s). I do not know of non-GF Planapos.

Nice to hear that your M19 can be compensated by some other eyepieces; so I've tried the same today (in finite setup) and is not so bad, found one eyepiece, Wild 15x Phot H, seems to be a good match. All others were not compensating enough, red fringes on the outside. Still not happy because have no real tube lens to use, and the Wild 15x is annoyingly narrow, like 8mm field. In far future, tube lens and 10x WF eyepiece?
I've tried the Teflon screw adapter but - sorry- it is even worse than the glue. No way to keep the objective properly stable and parallel, almost falling anytime. I'll shell the 30$ to Rafcamera. M19 tap, not for me, it would come out worse than the teflon.

Sadly found out that the objective here has a brilliantly engineered step at the base of the M19 thread, working as flange for 45mm parfocality (?). This step is of the perfect diameter to enter half-way into tight RMS nosepiece threads, so to damage them and throw away parallelism. That is awful, it makes difficult to just put a M19-RMS flangeless ring and keep 45mm length. Lathe away this step? Add a gasket around of same height? I had this issue with Leitz revolver (tight, small diameter RMS female thread) but not with Swift (loose, larger diameter, the M19 flange slides in).

Below the illustrations:
the planapo baby;
its RMS-killer step;
view with compensating eyepiece Wild 15x, best eyepiece match (no tube lens... finite 170mm tube! Condenser at NA~0.30 to tame spherical aberration haze);
the glorious 350 micron field of the baby (infinite, with 150mm neutral tube lens; calibration slide 10 micron divisions. No retouch! The contrast comes out like this. I had to remove all components from the tube, like the Bertrand lens holder, because they were vignetting to such large field. Ok maybe the outer 50+50 microns are not so nice. Condenser dry 0.90). Both Brightfield, no EPI.

My impressions so far: optics good (easily best oil immersion I have), proven compensable; instead the M19 thread is total hassle if separated from its mirror holders or revolver.
Official reference tube length, still unknown.
Test_Jena100x_Name.jpg
Test_Jena100x_Name.jpg (61.01 KiB) Viewed 5853 times
Test_Jena100x_Step.jpg
Test_Jena100x_Step.jpg (37.81 KiB) Viewed 5853 times
Test_Jena100x_Wild_15x_Phot.jpg
Test_Jena100x_Wild_15x_Phot.jpg (93.52 KiB) Viewed 5853 times
Test_Jena100x_Sigma150_10Micron_slide.jpg
Test_Jena100x_Sigma150_10Micron_slide.jpg (74.47 KiB) Viewed 5853 times

patta

#20 Post by patta » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:33 pm

Little browsing on ebay to check the veracity of previous statements.
There exist, non-GF M19 oo 50x PlanApochromat for Phase. Seller micro_crystal. He says that probably it is for the stand Zeiss Jena Neophot (21). here below the total weirdness. speaking about oblique phase...
Attachments
Phase50x.jpg
Phase50x.jpg (50.26 KiB) Viewed 5806 times
Last edited by patta on Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

MicroBob

#21 Post by MicroBob » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:45 pm

Funny phase contrast objective!

K means "Kompensation"
While A means "Auskorrigiert" = fully colour corrected, to be used with non correcting eyepieces

While Zeiss West invented an objective line with a need for compensation on all objectives Zeiss Jena caried on with the pre-WW2-Systm of individual eyepieces. So later there was the option to make all objectives fully colour corrected instead of in the need for compensation. This will have been at the end of the 160mm ear at Zeiss Jena ,1970s.

Bob

dtsh

#22 Post by dtsh » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:23 pm

Interesting annulus(?) design, never seen that before.

apochronaut

#23 Post by apochronaut » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:25 pm

That annulus just proves that phase has lots of room to experiment with.
When I tested the 63X .80 oo/.17 planachromat I used it on a an AO/Reichert 410 stand with a standard trinoc installed. All of the AO eyepieces gave dreadfull images, as did those 22mm f.o.v. Chinese eyepieces that there is a thread about. Anything with mildly correcting, nearly neutral, neutral or compensating characteristics were poor. The older Reichert and Olympus eyepieces are very good but that is after the image passes through the AO telan lens.

patta

#24 Post by patta » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:21 am

sorry to have hijacked what was supposed to be a few-lines thread.
To wrap up my understanding I think there are two systems M19 oo

M19 oo "Planachromat" from 1960-70.
Used on Pol or Epi attachments with built in Telan lens.
Reference tube lens focal length: 200mm (NU catalog) or something around 180mm (so objective+Telan behaves like a finite objective for Jena's 160mm system)

M19 oo "GF" Planachromat and Planapo from 1980s; revamp with larger field.
Used on unknown stands
Reference tube lens focal length: 250mm (for analogy with contemporary CF-250, and post #5). Maybe 200 instead.

Both need strong but manageable eyepiece compensation. Details about tube lenses not found.

BTW I've found that Jena made adapters M19-M30 so the M19 oo objectives would fit on the stands for the CF-250. The hunt for their large field, compensating eyepieces is open!

patta

#25 Post by patta » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:15 am

Aha! finally found the elusive table, objective-eyepiece pairings, for the 1960s Jena objectives. The 80's GF are likely compatible. Previous posts deprecated.

Reference tube lens length: 250mm.
Eyepieces recommended: heavy compensation PK; for all Planachromats, Apo and Planapos. Made up to 18-19mm field. Standard jolly, the PK 12.5x (16). Plan Kompensation?

The epi attachment ("Auflichtkondensors") had a "tubusfaktor" of 0,63, meaning its tube lens should have 250*0,63 = 157,5 mm focal length. It may be paired with "winkeltubus" with tubusfaktor 1,5, so back to factor 1= 0,63 *1,5 (?) (250mm effective tube lens). No mentions about tube compensation.

So I was thinking bad, they kept the standard 250mm all along (likely from 1860s). It was so obvious for them that they didn't bother to write it in the catalogs.

https://www.mikroskop-online.de/mikrosk ... e%20LG.pdf

Other correction: the "RMS killer step" actually slides into the M19 turret, in a matching bore. It is for keeping centration, not the threading stop. 45mm parfocality seems then to be at the base of the step. Then, the RMS female thread of the accepting turret needs to be enlarged by filing away some 0.2mm of brass.

apochronaut

#26 Post by apochronaut » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:49 am

I did a rough check on that and the 63X seems to be closer to 45 or 50X in my stand, which is supposed to be around a 180mm tube length. I still question that it might be 200mm. I have yet to check it carefully, with objectives adjusted to a known tube length.
Anyway, based on that, the 250mm tube length seems about right. If one was to use 12.5X oculars with it, just pretend they were 10X and the magnification on the barrel would be pretty accurate.

Dmi3n

#27 Post by Dmi3n » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:27 am

I have aforementioned Auflichtkondensor Pol and Nf stand, with 4/10/25/63/100 Planachromat Pol objectives and 25/0,65 Planapochromat, all for infinity/no coverslip, maybe I can answer any questions about it :)
Gear list:
CZJ NfPk and Polmi A w/ 45mm apo objectives, Phv, Epi Pol, trinocular
Gamma Hungary 3D-condenser
LOMO ОИ-28 Fluorescence Attachment
Set of Leitz Photar macro lens
Nikon D500 DSLR
LOMO МС-2 microtome

Dmi3n

#28 Post by Dmi3n » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:31 am

Also I have two spare Auflichtkondensors but they are in bad condition and one of them is currently disassembled.
Gear list:
Nikon D500 DSLR
LOMO МС-2 microtome

patta

#29 Post by patta » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:40 am

Dmi3n wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:31 am
Also I have two spare Auflichtkondensors but they are in bad condition and one of them is currently disassembled.
Yes, one question:
what's wrong with those Auflichkondensor?
I see plenty of their objectives for sale, but no Auflichtkondensor. All delicate or defective?

Do you think that the revolver - where the objectives screw - could be pillaged and mounted on the nose of another brand?

Dmi3n

#30 Post by Dmi3n » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:54 am

patta wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:40 am
Dmi3n wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:31 am
Yes, one question:
what's wrong with those Auflichkondensor?
I see plenty of their objectives for sale, but no Auflichtkondensor. All delicate or defective?
Doesn't seem too delicate, they are very well built compared to LOMO OI-21 for example. Only weak part is analyser which is prone to delamination. Unfortunately those two were kept in some humid place so there is some rust, but nothing fatal. I hope I will restore them to working condition to resell.
They are not often sold just because not so much of them were made. M19 objectives on the other hand were manufactured for couple of decades for every infinite system by Carl Zeiss Jena (Nu, Neophot, some Microval models, etc) so there is really much of them left.
Gear list:
Nikon D500 DSLR
LOMO МС-2 microtome