Long working distance

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Glot

Long working distance

#1 Post by Glot » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:04 am

What type of microscope would you call one that has the charasterics of a stereo dissection microscope but with a single objective? I'm wanting large working distance, large focal range, mag up to about x100 max. I've considered a not junk digital. I mainly want to use it to photograph mineral specimens with stacking.

Scarodactyl

Re: Long working distance

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:43 pm

That's what's known as a photomacroscope. The Wild m400 was the first brought to market but you may find the results underehelming at higher mags unless you find the more expensive apozoom objective. Asode from that there are high end systems like the Leiza Z6, Olympus mvx10 or Nikon Az100, and middle end ones like the Navitar or Optem systems (navitar resolv4k, optem fusion or older equivalents) some of which use a mitutoyo or mitutoyo-like objective as their main lens.
Alas, the high end systems are rare on the used market and too often very expensive. The middle-end offerings are still somewhat expensive and will typically not cover more than a small-sensored camera. I have a Leica Z6 and it is amazing but took a long time and a lot of luck to assemble semi-affordably.
If you just want to take photos you'd probably do better to assemble a suite of fixed lenses and objectives rather than a zooming system. Much cheaper and prpduces better photos too.

BramHuntingNematodes

#3 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:46 pm

The B&L/ Leica Monozoom 7 is fairly decent and very cheap. It's sometimes difficult to find parts for.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:00 pm

Sometimes called a shop microscope or inspection microscope too. AO had a peculiar one that comes off as a bit of a Cycloptic/series 10 hybrid. It has a cycloptic style rotating single objective drum changer body with a series 10 binocular head mated to it. The drum changer is unique though, not just a repurposed cycloptic body.I believe it does up to 200X or something.
Can't recall the series # offhand but it is an intrigueing design.