Swift 380T - 20x objective recommendations?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Brutha

Swift 380T - 20x objective recommendations?

#1 Post by Brutha » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:28 pm

Hi All,

Have been enjoying using my 380T since I received a few days ago. From what I have looked at so far, it seems pretty clear that I would use a 20x objective far more than the 100x that comes with the scope, so I reckon I'd like to set things up as 4x/10x/20x/40x for normal use.

But I'm not really sure where to start: should I consider a cheap 20x Plan objective like I see here, given that one thing I like to do is photography? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324646251486

Or should I look for a "name brand" 20x achromatic objective? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Brutha

Dubious

Re: Swift 380T - 20x objective recommendations?

#2 Post by Dubious » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:16 am

I also find bridging the middle range more useful than a 100x oil objective. As for which 20x to get, for me it would be one from the same series as your other objectives, so as to more likely be parfocal with them. To me, that would be more important than anything else. Otherwise, if someone here can't give you more specific advice on compatible objectives for the Swift 380T, at the price on the one you linked, it's hard to go wrong. I actually have a cheap Amscope 20x acro that works reasonably well in my Leitz Laborlux, although I did return a 60x plan that I didn't like.

patta

#3 Post by patta » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:21 am

Yes the 20x is a very useful objective
the one you linked seems alright, likely similar quality that you have on your Swift. There aren't many alternatives.
Make sure they're "DIN" 45mm length as the objectives you have ("195" serie for Chineses; NOT "185"). And "160", not "infinity".
Also check Motic (current owner of Swift brand) they often have objectives in the "outlet" at good prices:
https://moticeurope.com/en/
As Dubious wrote above, best if you can get a 20x of the same series as the other you've already.

Whether cheap objectives are good... there are 100's of threads in this forum wrestling about this issue.
The consensus seems to be: they're usable, and price is really low. Better objectives from big brands, are definitely more expensive and definitely better.
Where exactly the right balance lies, between crave for sharpness and wallet size, is anyone's opinion.

Get a used one, it's hard because, like you, everybody wants an extra 20x, but few were made. So few available. And, different models/brands will need different eyepieces or camera adapters to give good image.
One exception: Nikon Planapo 20x 0.75
It pops up now and then on ebay in large batches, 100 US$ apiece. New is 2000 US$!. Will need some effort to adapt it, 3D printed etc, but it is really as good as can get for photography.
If you don't like, or doesn't fit, you can resell it. Try to get the ones with "nikon" written; avoid the brown unnamed ones, they need 0,4mm coverslip, which is an hassle.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... _PrefLoc=2

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:20 pm

While the $100 Nikon 20x/0.75x are an exceptional deal they are infinity corrected and 60mm parfocal. They won't fit on a typical finite stand. That said their low price does seem to have dragged down the price on the finite ones, so even if they're not 100bux they're often priced below where they should be.

farnsy

#5 Post by farnsy » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:46 pm

I think you are making a wise choice in getting a plan achromat 20X. I have heard several people say that the Chinese plan 160 objectives are noticeably better than the Chinese basic achromats, and I find that 20X is a very useful magnfication, indeed. You might even think about replacing all your objectives while you are at it. Then they will all be upgraded and matching.

That ebay seller is in China. If you are buying in China anyway, might as well go to AliExpress and get it for a better price (~18 pounds), with the explicit guarantee that it is 195. Maybe with a little shopping around there you can find it for even less.

I have not heard anyone mentioning a difference between one brand of 160 objectives and another...I'm not convinced they aren't all made in the same factory. At least, all the ones that originate in China.
Last edited by farnsy on Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

perrywespa

#6 Post by perrywespa » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:11 pm

I have a "generic" 20X Plan I bought on on Amazon or from Amscope (don't remember) on my Olympus CH2 that I've been very happy with. I rarely use anything higher than 40X. I have a Seiler Westlab II that has a 100X oil if I ever need it.
Perry
Insatiably curious.

Brutha

#7 Post by Brutha » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:56 pm

Many thanks all, some really good info there! I'll take a look at Ali Express!

patta

#8 Post by patta » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:03 pm

Be careful, once you start, 20x fever can get outrageously expensive
https://www.photomacrography.net/forum ... =43827