What's the part on this Zeiss condenser rack?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Xiphosura

What's the part on this Zeiss condenser rack?

#1 Post by Xiphosura » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:38 pm

Hi all,

I've recently bought my first scope! It's a Zeiss Standard 18 in great condition (albeit a bit dusty) with a drawing tube, 1.3 NA fliptop condenser, 5x objective revolver, a full set of objectives (Planachromat 2.5/0.08 and 10/0.22; Neofluar 40/0.75 and 100/1.30 oil; Plan-Neofluar 63/0.9), and a standard WL binocular head for just 200 euros.
The only part I can't seem to identify properly is the part hanging from the condenser carrier (I don't really know what it's called).

It's currently off to be checked, cleaned, regreased, and serviced by a professional, so unfortunately I can't upload a photo. I did, however, find a photo on ebay of what I believe to be the exact thing I'm referring to (see links below). It's the swing-out lens thing and/or filter holder on this condensor carrier, and a very similar thing is mounted on my Standard 18. The description says "from a Standard WL", but I haven't seen the exact same thing in the available Zeiss Standard WL/GFL/14/16/18 catalogs, as far as I could see at least. I wanted to ask whether anyone recognises this part and which model it comes from? Also, why are there two swing-outs on it, what's its role, and why is the bottom swing-out thing extended downwards compared to most other similar parts?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/15QAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/16AAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

Thanks in advance!

75RR

Re: What's the part on this Zeiss condenser rack?

#2 Post by 75RR » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:30 pm

Xiphosura wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:38 pm
The only part I can't seem to identify properly is the part hanging from the condenser carrier (I don't really know what it's called).
... I did, however, find a photo on ebay of what I believe to be the exact thing I'm referring to (see links below).
That condenser carrier as seller stated is for either a WL, a Photomicoscope or a Universal. It will not fit on a Standard 18

Parts fitted to it may be similar to yours (looks like filter holders and an auxiliary lens) but more and varied photos of the parts would help give a more precise ID.

Might be best to post some photos of the actual parts once you get it back from the repair service.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)