Vision Engineering Dynascope vs normal stereo microscope

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
wild2020

Vision Engineering Dynascope vs normal stereo microscope

#1 Post by wild2020 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:58 pm

Hi,

I use my wild m8 for work and it is great, mostly on 6x but also sometimes on 50x and between the 2 extremes, and I find that the range of magnification is very useful my work is watch repair and engraving, a lot of positive things are said about these odd dynascope things wondering if anyone here could compare them to other good quality stereo microscopes such as the Leica/wild m8.

Also, regarding dynascope's how do the older type that apparently has a motor with a spinning disc compare to the newer ones that do away with this motor and spinning disk?

thanks

Phill Brown

Re: Vision Engineering Dynascope vs normal stereo microscope

#2 Post by Phill Brown » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:33 pm

I'm a clock/watchmaker.
I have a vision mantis which was excellent for PCB assembly contracts, saves neck strain with eyepieceless stereo, stereo stage lighting 4x & 10x.
Not ideal for watches.
I have a Russian binocular fixed 8.75x on my lathe,ok down to balance staff grinding.
Watson stereo triple dissection type is good down to Seiko ladies automatic balance work. 6.25x to 100x.
Excellent build quality, surprisingly good image quality for 1960's but not wide angle by today's expectation.

BramHuntingNematodes

#3 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:53 pm

the oscillating projection disc is an ancient technique discovered long ago and reintroduced it seems periodically. I think there must be some improvement but the mechanism probably breaks down frequently
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

BramHuntingNematodes

#4 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:57 pm

A description of the use of the technique from 1903:

https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/ite ... 6/mode/1up
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

wild2020

#5 Post by wild2020 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:50 pm

Thanks, Phill Brown for your option on the dynascope, does the dynascope have a particularly wide field of view for the given magnification? I find my wild m8 quite comfortable I try to keep my head neer upright and look down rather than tilting my head much and am also looking for an ergo wedge to make the viewing angle a bit closer to 90 degrees, also is there anything you would say to look out for if I buy a used dynascope?

Thanks BramHuntingNematodes for the article about the rotating disk quite fascinating

Phill Brown

#6 Post by Phill Brown » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:28 am

Vision engineering Mantis is industrial type big screen, come up on eBay often. Some internal dust isn't optional probably.
Should have checked, mine is fitted with 2x and 8x.
2x gives 53mm field of view which looks flat.
18cm working clearance to the lens on 2x.
8x would be ok for straitening a balance spring as it still has good depth of field,seem to remember a mangled IWC overcoil getting sorted under that.
Other lenses come up but prices are strong. Not invested further but maybe a 4x could be useful.
I've not found it as good as bright light,watchmakers bench with arm rests, easily adjusted seat height and Bergeon flip type eyeglass 3x with +10x insert.
Microscopes more for inspection of pivot and jewel condition.
A good view of the distance helps with eye and neck strain.
I choose to work more in the miniature carriage clock up to Vienna range. 400 day,French strike and platform anything, trade only.
Did a couple ladies Seiko hi beat recently, used the Watson stereo for adjusting regulation.