A historic elimination of chromatic aberration

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
hans

A historic elimination of chromatic aberration

#1 Post by hans » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:04 am

I see now apochronaut's grumblings about CF marketing are not baseless...
The Alphaphot was part of a wave of new product launches circa early 1980’s to accommodate the newest CF optical technology, which for the first time truly eliminated chromatic aberration.
No further clarifications or qualifications follow: https://www.microscopyu.com/museum/alphaphot

Scarodactyl

Re: A historic elimination of chromatic aberration

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:09 am

You're going to find something to annoy you with almost any company's marketing, though this particular thing with Nikon has produced some real howlers. I love the design concept and it has practical advantages for what I do but I could definitely do without their marketing department.

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:42 am

I 've never seen one coming in on a wave but since some are now used as boat anchors, you never know!

Phill Brown

#4 Post by Phill Brown » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:12 pm

Well I can't comment on mold but I've spent happy hours cleaning mould from internal 1980's Nikon coated glass.
I read somewhere once that Japanese language doesn't have a direct translation of the word learn, their concept is that it is "copy",thereby learning.
Tall claims in marketing wasn't new, maybe they copied the marketing style of the 1980's world leader in tall claims.

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:54 pm

Margaret Thatcher?

Dubious

#6 Post by Dubious » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:46 am

Harmless "puffery" Nikon would argue. And it's quite possible those advertising copywriters didn't really know what CA was but did finally understand that Nikon tried to deal with it, and, well, they were advertising people, probably with experience describing drugs that purportedly eliminated various diseases, so they would naturally put a positive spin on Nikon's attempt...