What is the Name or Series of this older Zeiss Scope

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Gatorengineer64

What is the Name or Series of this older Zeiss Scope

#1 Post by Gatorengineer64 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:39 am

51-1.jpg
51-1.jpg (183.1 KiB) Viewed 1362 times
If one wanted to restore an old zeiss for use. Would this be a good one to start with? I am assuming its late 60s?

BramHuntingNematodes

Re: What is the Name or Series of this older Zeiss Scope

#2 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:49 am

Yeah you would build up some biceps moving it it's got that mercury lamp in the back for fluorescence just a big chungus scope there don't put it on some pressboard student desk it'll rip it in half I say do it
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:57 am

If it were mine, I'd name it Mongo.

Wouldn't be a historically accurate reference though. The film that featured that huge, somewhat likable, powerful, and hulking character ("Blazing Saddles") didn't come from Universal Studios.

Others will know better -- but it looks like a Zeiss Universal to me.

MicroBob

#4 Post by MicroBob » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:35 am

This is a Zeiss Universal I from between late 50s and late 60s. It was the big lab microscope of Zeiss in this time and similar to the Photomicroscope I. These are very well made microscopes that can be used for practically everything that was possible until the mid 80s and the accessories actually turn up on the used market and are affordable. Much more usable that they look but a bit unwieldy. They have a tube head with changeable light path, bino, camera or both, an Optovar which is very useful, exchangeable nosepieces and tables. All features that are expensive for smaller microscopes.

There is one important point with Universal I: The very first models had a ring dovetail conection between Optovar (not all have one though) and nosepiece. The later Universal I and Phomi I then used the same sliding dovetail as the models II and III and it is much easier to find nosepieces and fluorescence condensers for them. The ring dovetail looks similar to the dovetail on an observation tube or condenser. As a user I would highly recommend to buy a microscope with the later dovetail.

I think you already have "a few" microscopes so it would be the question what you were looking for in this microscope? The added options fluorescence, epi... The lower component prices on the used market? If your budget would allow a Zeiss Axioplan would do about the same but is compatible with your Axio microscopes. Or are you just looking for a microscope of a nice colour? :lol:

Bob

Gatorengineer64

#5 Post by Gatorengineer64 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:20 am

So my Acioskop 50 will be the scope I intend to use most often. I was thinking about one classic zeiss to have just like a vintage car.......

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:01 pm

Then this one might be just right - only one microscope and it allows to purchase 4 drawers full of accessories! :lol: