Reichert stereo microscope

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
smollerthings

Reichert stereo microscope

#1 Post by smollerthings » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:58 am

Hi everyone,

I saw this while window shopping fro a stereo microscope and found this. It was interesting looking so I thought I would share.

Looks like some serious equipment. Do you think it was used for metallurgy? Crystallography?
Attachments
a3.jpg
a3.jpg (99.04 KiB) Viewed 1909 times
a2.jpg
a2.jpg (125.36 KiB) Viewed 1909 times
a1.jpg
a1.jpg (94.42 KiB) Viewed 1909 times

apochronaut

Re: Reichert stereo microscope

#2 Post by apochronaut » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:21 pm

smollerthings wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:58 am
Hi everyone,

I saw this while window shopping fro a stereo microscope and found this. It was interesting looking so I thought I would share.

Looks like some serious equipment. Do you think it was used for metallurgy? Crystallography?

That is a Reichert Neozet. It was the kind of little brother to the Zetopan. Both were used in multiple roles, depending on the accessories mounted on it. That one looks to have been a polarizing metallurgy microscope. Unusually, you got the power supply but not the illuminator, which slides on the dovetail at the back. Not a stereo microscope.

smollerthings

#3 Post by smollerthings » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:59 pm

Thanks apochronaut. This seems to be a rather competent polarizing microscope, although having a limited distribution and small number of accessories available.

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... topan.html

Found this old thread about Reichert Zetoplan. viewtopic.php?t=4143

wabutter

#4 Post by wabutter » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:04 am

That is a Zetopan-Pol. The shape of the base for the Neonet is more founded and the Zetopan has two levers for TL/IL deviation on the base near the vertical attachment point. Typically the tube attachment would rotate 90 degrees from side to side, in this case the Pol tube is fixed for quantitative use.

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:17 pm

That's true. Roundish front and the Neozet is smaller too. I zoned out on the black enamel and the fact that most Zetopan bases I have seen did not slope to the bench but sloped to a vertical riser that lifted the upper surface of the base 6 cm. or so above the bench. I guess the black Zetopans, which were probably the oldest ones, had a different base?

wabutter

#6 Post by wabutter » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:40 am

There were three different colors associated with the Zetopan. Silver was the last iteration, while there was a time they were cream colored when Bright (UK) was the distribution for the Reichert line prior to AO (Warner Lambert) purchasing Reichert. Before that they were all black, much like most microscopes of that era.

ldflan

#7 Post by ldflan » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:54 am

Zetopan pol, yes. The stage is a work of art. Very uncommon, very expensive. The monocular tube with Bertrand lens is also hard to find (just found one after years of looking...) The analyzer slider is also hard to source at a reasonable price point. A Zetopan in good condition isn't necessarily the very best scope of the period, but it was certainly one of the better ones. More than, the engineering is top notch and it really is an absolute joy to use.

Leonard