Mix and match Laborlux parts?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
glabelle

Mix and match Laborlux parts?

#1 Post by glabelle » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:20 pm

I have a Leitz Laborlux 12. As far as I can tell, it never had an incident light, metallurgical, setup.

Does anyone have experience using parts from other Laborlux (or ?) scopes. I'd like to add incident lighting.
I've seen several incident illuminators for sale, but for other models. They also say infinity/0.8 on them. Could this be used on my scope if I used an infinity objective?

Any other info on swapping parts appreciated.

George
Prineville, Oregon

PeteM

Re: Mix and match Laborlux parts?

#2 Post by PeteM » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:53 pm

George, a few thoughts:

- The illuminators come in brightfield only and brightfield/darkfield combo versions. Yours sounds like one of the later Leitz (not Leica) versions with an off-white color?

- The proper Leitz infinity objectives (not the same as later Leica versions) may or may not have the extra channel for epi darkfield. If they do, they'll also work (without darkfield) on either epi illumination. In this version, Leitz managed to cram everything in and fit an RMS thread, even for the flared-looking darkfield epi objectives. You'd want to use Leitz infinity objectives form this era, to maintain corrections.

- It's remotely likely you'll come across an earlier version epi illuminator. Leitz had three or four different dovetail diameters over time, to accommodate the heads and adapters from different generations. Actually, they're not quite a dovetail, but the diameter for your Laborlux 12 will be around 42mm.

- If you get stuck finding an epi head part or objective, I likely have some spares.

glabelle

#3 Post by glabelle » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:42 pm

Thanks Pete for the response.
Took me several readings to understand what you were saying (I lack experience).

The Laborlux 12 came after the Laborlux 11 and was followed by the D, S and others. Mine has the Ploemopak for fluorescence There was a Laborlux HL apparently for metallurgy. It had a similar looking illuminator for incidence, but the illuminators were made for infinity optics. There is a lens in the eyepiece head, so I suspect that I'd have to have that too in order to use the proper optics. I have no idea if the dovetail is the same or not. The dovetails on the condensers seem consistent as I have an older black Laborlux III (~1967) and its condenser fits my (~1985) 12.

Anyway, no matter. I'm going to get a more modern scope for which I can readily get parts, Like an Olympus BX51 or something that can do "everything" eventually.

Dubious

#4 Post by Dubious » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:48 am

When mixing and matching, you need to be aware of the generational transitions (170 to 160, different condenser mounts, different head dovetails, etc.) but I doubt Leitz is any worse than the other main vintage brands when it comes to compatibility issues over the past 50 years or so. Just about everything is available for the Laborlux 12, except maybe DIC. For my Laborlux 12, I easily found a phase turret condenser, phase objectives, and trinocular head on Ebay.

Most recently, I acquired another Laborlux 12 frame that had phase objectives (finite 160) and Leitz florescence illuminator 513 514 installed (damaged in transit, alas).