Bestscope and Nexscope DIC quality question

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
benjamind2021

Bestscope and Nexscope DIC quality question

#1 Post by benjamind2021 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:05 pm

I've noticed on the websites that sell the Nexscope with DIC is that the DIC kit that come with the microscope only have two DIC prisms for 10/20 and 40/100.

Does this affect the quality of the DIC since I see some outfits that have a prism for 10, 20, 40, 60 and 100 objectives?

The Nexscope would have 4 prisms, a pair for the 10/20 objectives and a pair for the 40/100 objectives.

I wonder if there would be any real difference or if the prisms have a different shearing factor to make them more flexible to use with different objectives?

Also I note that I have not seen any DIC images taken with the Bestscope BS2081 as I was told would be coming but have never seen any being posted here.

So I thought I would throw up some questions. I'm still very much interested but don't want to wreck the budget. I'll be cold calling universities/labs to see if there are any DIC equipped microscopes they are selling or recycling. Sometimes a bargain can be had.

Scarodactyl

Re: Bestscope and Nexscope DIC quality question

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:49 pm

I am also curious. I have only seen the one image I linked from fb in the other thread, but it did look quite promising.

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:38 pm

I thought about buying one for about a year and then decided to put the money towards an 18:1 planapo stereo instead. During that period , I had about 40 emails back and forth to the sales rep, so I learned a little. The BS 2081 is built on a platform that a lot of companies use to build up a finished product. The ones most familiar to us are the Nexscope, Accuscope and Bestscope versions. Those all seem to be pretty similar.However the same microscope is being finished in India with a broader array of optics by Radical. They seem to have more impetus to make the platform more fully featured . I counted over 100 objective choices available from Radical. Bestscope had I think 20 the last time I checked.

Radical gets optical systems designed by Seiwa Correct for other models , so I assume for the RXLr-5NX( their BS-2081 equivalent) too. The array and sophistication if the offerings seems too much for an Indian mfg. They also have individual DIC prisms for 4X,10X,20X,40X,60X and 100X.

There are 2 owners I know of on this forum of the BS-2081. Perhaps one will supply some images.

Dubious

#4 Post by Dubious » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:41 pm

Which websites sell a Nexscope with DIC? Any in the US? Some here have reported good experiences buying direct from China, but given delays, shipping and tariff situation (is it still 25%?), buying from stock already in the US would seem more certain.

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:24 pm

There is a big price differential between buying from a Chinese broker or factory and paying some local company or dealer their shipping tab and markup. Unitron for instance, I think wants 12,000 for the microscope I paid 3800 for f.o.b. You can pay a lot of duty and taxes for the difference. Shipping is around 500.00 for the big ones.
Those U.S. dealers are making a pretty penny.