Let's try again. Ocular and projection lens

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
The QCC

Let's try again. Ocular and projection lens

#1 Post by The QCC » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:54 pm

This time I used a prepared slide of a Basswood Stem and used a 2x objective to give a wider field which is more representative of the image size I use.
I also adjusted the length of the camera tube to achieve better magnification comparisons.
I have also added a frame from a Canon 5D MkII with a Nikon 2.5x PL
Camera shake is not an issue as far as I can see. Both Canon cameras have Live View mode.
See the description at Kreb's Micro site
Click on the photo to see the presentation.
Basswood stem
Basswood stem
BassWood_XS_Lwf10x_Lm_2xobj_13.jpg (17.95 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
[/url]

apochronaut

Re: Let's try again. Ocular and projection lens

#2 Post by apochronaut » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:38 pm

I went back and got them to download, this time.

This seems a much better comparison.

The Omax adapter is clearly not capable of yielding a good image to the camera. Lighting is uneven and there are unwanted chroma.

The Nikon, likely is not at it's correct tube length because it too has unwanted chroma and appears to suffer from a bit of edge distortion.

The Meiji is the best of the projection lenses, the way I am seeing it. The overall resolution and contrast seem the best and although the borders are obscured, the border at the top seems relatively free from chromatic aberration.

The Labomed eyepiece is about as good as the Meiji. I would be interested in seeing the full field, to see if the corners are flat and clean.

This combination for some reason is the worst, mainly due to the band of blue chroma , along the borders of the object.

I know that chroma can be cleaned up in post processing but not everyone does that. I always think that the best option is to start with the cleanest image.