What fits onto the Journey to the Microcosmos microscope?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Sjeiti

What fits onto the Journey to the Microcosmos microscope?

#1 Post by Sjeiti » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:31 pm

I've been looking through the jttmc microscope for a few months now.
It also came with 100x oil objective which I've only used twice so I'm thinking of swapping it for a 60x.

Since I hardly know anything about the machinery my first question is: what would fit?
Could I simply swap it out for a BRESSER DIN lens 60x?

Is there a lot of variation in objective diameter or thread size?

gr

Ron

dtsh

Re: What fits onto the Journey to the Microcosmos microscope?

#2 Post by dtsh » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:51 pm

It looks to be a 160mm TL design, so most DIN 160mm objectives should work....though they may not be parfocal (meaning they may not reach focus at the same point as the other objectives).

I would ask around about opinions on various 60x dry objectives before buying one, performance is typically pretty low. Over around 45x or so, oil (or other immersion media) is going to be necessary to get a reasonable view.

If you're wanting something higher mag than 400x, but don't want to mess with oil, a 15x eyepiece with the 40x objective will give you 600x and almost certainly a better view than a 60x objective.
If it were my scope, I would add a 20x as its nice to have something in between the jump from 100x to 400x, which will cover a lot of what the average person is likely to be viewing.

A scope I take with me on trips is my little AO35, which originally came with 10x,45x, and 97x, but I swapped the 97x for a 20x , mostly due to not bringing oil with me for little field trips and I have not found myself wanting for the 97x.

Sjeiti

#3 Post by Sjeiti » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:45 pm

Thanks for the helpful tips.
I'll take your advice and go looking for 15x eyepieces then, and maybe in the mean time swap out the 100x for a 20x.

Sjeiti

#4 Post by Sjeiti » Sat May 14, 2022 10:59 am

Thanks again for the suggestion; I swapped the 100x for a 20x and I think it is now my most used objective (probably because depth of field and darkfield are not too good on my 40x).

Javier

#5 Post by Javier » Sun May 15, 2022 2:13 pm

Yes, the 20 x is a very useful addition to any scope. It's particularly useful to observe pond life.

josmann

#6 Post by josmann » Mon May 16, 2022 11:56 pm

The JTTM scope like many Siedentopf style amateur grade scopes has non-neutral viewing optics which happen to compensate olympus objectives fairly well.

Any of the olympus DPlan, SPlan, or SPlan Apo series objectives will work very well. Plus you can consider the excellent Olympus BH2 if you decide to upgrade at some point.

Also, the brightness of the JttM scope can be increased considerably with this little mod I discovered (and made a video about):

The highest quality live-streamed microscopy in the world.
Sundays around 8PST: https://www.youtube.com/@diettoms/streams
Occasionally (for now): https://www.twitch.tv/diettoms

Join the Discord: https://discord.gg/FgpUUnJaSE