Adding an Abbe Condenser to a Student Microscope

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
TriniSpiderGuy

Adding an Abbe Condenser to a Student Microscope

#1 Post by TriniSpiderGuy » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:28 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a Swift SW150 Microscope. Unfortunately it did not come with a condenser but I figured I could install one. There’s a small lens in the middle of the stage, I’m thinking I can simply remove it and replace it with an abbe condenser. My main issue here is that….I don’t know what exactly condenser installation entails. I assume it has to be a specific condenser capable of fitting the microscope. Does anyone have any advice here?
Thank you for your consideration.

MichaelG.

Re: Adding an Abbe Condenser to a Student Microscope

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:44 pm

This might get you started:
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... dense.html

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

TriniSpiderGuy

#3 Post by TriniSpiderGuy » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:31 pm

MichaelG. wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:44 pm

MichaelG.
Hi, sorry for the late response as I've been busy with university.

Unfortunately, that link just tells me about condensers as a whole, not necessarily how to install one in a student microscope.

dtsh

#4 Post by dtsh » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:59 am

TriniSpiderGuy wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:31 pm

Unfortunately, that link just tells me about condensers as a whole, not necessarily how to install one in a student microscope.
Have any access or skill with machining, 3D printing, or other fabrication methods? I've seen people use lego blocks to position things, wood, cardboard....lots of ways one could get it done if so inclined. Some pics of the underside of the stage might get you some suggestions; looking at an image of a Swift SW150 suggests there's probably not much in the way of installing one.

Any particular reason you're trying to add a condenser onto that scope rather than acquire a scope designed for one? Maybe something with a mechanical stage too?

Instruments from yesteryear, especially older monocular ones from less well known brands tend to sell for pretty cheap. If you're anywhere near me, I could set you up with something nicer than that Swift SW150 for less.

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:03 am

The lens in your stage is a oondenser. It probably has about an N.A. suitable for the objectives in the microscope. Better buy a quality second hand scope with a focusing condenser for under 100.00, than try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

MichaelG.

#6 Post by MichaelG. » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:26 am

TriniSpiderGuy wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:31 pm
MichaelG. wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:44 pm

MichaelG.

That would depend almost entirely upon
(a) the detailed design of your specific “student microscope”
(b) your engineering skills

The reason I pointed you to that page was to show you what’s needed to use a condenser

Frankly … I think you would probably do better to purchase another ‘scope

MichaelG.

https://swiftoptical.com/uploads/pdf/SW150Manual.pdf
Too many 'projects'

zzffnn

#7 Post by zzffnn » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:10 pm

Unless you already have some condensers, such DIY may cause more than buying a used microscope with focusing condenser. Each condenser may cost around $15 USD.

If you do have some condensers in hand, you can:

Cleanly Remove the original condensing lens (likely with xylene);

Measure stage hole diameter;

Find a condenser whose top lens diameter can fit into that hole;

Somehow mount and center the condenser (likely with epoxy putty) and then make condenser’s top lens sit about 0.1-1mm lower than stage;

Diffuse light that goes into bottom of condenser with wax paper and ignore Kohler illumination.

Greg Howald

#8 Post by Greg Howald » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:10 pm

I found a,condenser on Amazon last month for 39 dollars. It comes out of China and took a month to receive it. It is the type of condenser with a screw mount where you fix it to the bottom of the stage and rotate the condenser to raise or lower it.. This might be the easiest way to do the job. On that small scope you would probably have to mount it with epoxy.

DeniseStribling

#9 Post by DeniseStribling » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:53 pm

Greg Howald wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:10 pm
I found a,condenser on Amazon last month for 39 dollars. It comes out of China and took a month to receive it. It is the type of condenser with a screw mount where you fix it to the bottom of the stage and rotate the condenser to raise or lower it.. This might be the easiest way to do the job. On that small scope you would probably have to mount it with epoxy.
not a bad price for it.

annissteversonfir57

#10 Post by annissteversonfir57 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:56 pm

TriniSpiderGuy wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:28 pm
Hello everyone,

I have a Swift SW150 Microscope. Unfortunately it did not come with a condenser but I figured I could install one. There’s a small lens in the middle of the stage, I’m thinking I can simply remove it and replace it with an abbe condenser. My main issue here is that….I don’t know what exactly condenser installation entails. I assume it has to be a specific condenser capable of fitting the microscope. Does anyone have any advice here?
Thank you for your consideration.
Adding an Abbe capacitor to a microscope is a great idea to improve its functionality. Installing a capacitor will help focus the light better and improve image clarity. I recommend contacting Swift technical support or looking in specialized stores. In such cases I often used assignment help, found https://edubirdie.com/assignment-help for this. It may also be worth consulting with experienced enthusiasts on microscopy forums. It will be interesting to know what happened to you.
Last edited by annissteversonfir57 on Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jorymil

#11 Post by jorymil » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:55 am

Looking at the SW150, it seems like adding a condenser might be a chore, though anything is possible. Slightly easier might be to put in a new stage that's already fitted with a condenser. Easiest of all might just be to say that you've outgrown this scope. There are used scopes available in great condition on eBay for less money, and with both condensers and fully mechanical stages. As with anything in life, the less money you spend, the longer it'll take to get something working, but there are a lot of good American Optical and Nikon scopes out there that might do what you need, and will cost around $100.

Besides a condenser, you might want to think about other features you'd like: if you're already wanting to retrofit a condenser, you might want a binocular or trinocular head, 100x objective, mechanical stage, Kohler illumination, etc., all of which can be had in a quality used scope at around the $100 point.

jorymil

#12 Post by jorymil » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:56 am

Ugh. Sorry for posting to a resurrected thread like this. Should have checked the date of the OP, not the most recent.