How to remove condenser system in a Leitz SM Lux?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Milou

How to remove condenser system in a Leitz SM Lux?

#1 Post by Milou » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:39 pm

Hello,
I would like to raise just about 1 mm the stage of my Leitz SM Lux, as I use it as a setup with chinese plan objectives shorter than original Leitz ones! (the original microscope head is replaced by M42 tubes and a M4/3 body)
So focus couldn't be made correctly as stage rack is too limited upside.....

Therefore I would remove this stage and insert thin washers to raise it a bit (just 1 mm).
3 screws seem to fix this stage and I could easily remove the 2 external ones (see first picture), but the third one is not accessible without to remove all the condenser system :-(

And I don't understand how to remove this condenser rack system as I see a screw above (see second picture), but the other one in the bottom is hidden....
If anybody could explain how to proceed ?
P1100003.resized.JPG
P1100003.resized.JPG (99.96 KiB) Viewed 1330 times
P1100006.resized.JPG
P1100006.resized.JPG (82.43 KiB) Viewed 1330 times
Thank you very much

mineral rob

Re: How to remove condenser system in a Leitz SM Lux?

#2 Post by mineral rob » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:31 pm

I have the same microscope and the condenser is on a dovetail that just slides out of the substage mounting fork. In your photos you already have the condenser lowered and the flip-up lens lowered with the stage raised so the condenser does not hit either the stage or microscope base as you remove it. All you have to do is hold the 'bathtub shaped' part of the condenser and slide it straight out of the mount (towards you if in front of the scope.) Sometimes they can be in there loosely and sometimes a tiny bit of gentle pulling will slide it out, but there should not be a lock on that dovetail.

If you need to raise the stage, the small slotted cheese-head bolts are probably 3.5 mm x 12 mm long (mine were) so adding a 1 mm washer between the stage and mount should still let you tighten them down. There is play in the mounting holes that let you adjust the stage a tiny bit (L-R and back-front) to square it up when remounting it.

mineral rob

#3 Post by mineral rob » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:52 pm

SMfork.jpg
SMfork.jpg (70.42 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
The small slotted screw below the fork is the limit screw for the fork mounting dovetail. Turn it out most of the way and you will be able to lower the empty mounting fork all the way off it's dovetail mount on the base. This will give you access to the center stage mounting screw. A long screwdriver up through the slot in the base lets you get at that screw from below.

Milou

#4 Post by Milou » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:14 pm

Thank's for picture
I started to answer and went on to remove it.....

mineral rob

#5 Post by mineral rob » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:03 pm

You are welcome.

Screws are M 3.5 x 12 mm, I was missing a couple on my recent scope and had to order them.

Milou

#6 Post by Milou » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:22 am

Thank you for comments and information
I could remove condenser system and therefore raise a bit the stage.
All screws were well in place!