Nikon labophot fair price

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
imkap

Nikon labophot fair price

#1 Post by imkap » Fri May 13, 2022 11:25 pm

I'd like to ask you what might be a fair price for this, of course if it is in good condition. Has 4 objectives, one slot is empty. It is available relatively close to where I live. My friend showed some interest, I'm not sure he's completely serious, but still I'll ask you...

I looked on the eBay and the parts (like a trino head) seem to be more common and less expensive than for my Zeiss GFL which is great ... This one should be better than GFL? It looks a lot newer...
Thanks

PeteM

Re: Nikon labophot fair price

#2 Post by PeteM » Sat May 14, 2022 3:02 am

It looks to have the first generation of Nikon's chrome free objective. If they're plan achromats -- maybe $250?

A common problem with Nikon's of this era is a slipping or broken plastic fine focus gear. Metal replacements are available, but that's around a $60 cost shipped from Germany and a bit daunting the first time around. The condenser focus gear is sometimes stuck in old grease - forced - and stripped. That gear is harder to find.

It's a good scope and, as you say, a trinocular head is generally available at less cost than others of the "big four."

The Labophot 2 swapped out the 20 watt tungsten halogen lamp (same as most BH2 models) for a 30 watt lamp. The Optiphot had a 50 watt lamp and could accommodate interchangeable nosepieces and had an adjustable stage mount to permit either reflected or transmitted DIC. The Optiphot-2 added a 100 watt lamp and is comparable to an Olympus BHS.

Phill Brown

#3 Post by Phill Brown » Sat May 14, 2022 7:36 am

The power supply on the Labophot is a safer bet and easy enough to find.
20w is plenty mostly.
Labophot 2 stands with failed transistor PSU are common and giveaway price.
Failed PSU for 6v 30w means getting another Labophot 2 that works or rig an external DC, then you can choose whatever G4 bulb as it's diffused by a 2 filter cartridge from underneath rather than critical pre focus.
Not all stages are compatible with the phase 2 1.25 condenser but phase can reduce resolution a little anyway.
Great modular scope to learn about servicing.
Good luck if it works out.

imkap

#4 Post by imkap » Sat May 14, 2022 8:31 am

Thanks for the info, I'll pass it on...

faulknernolan

#5 Post by faulknernolan » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:36 am

Phill Brown wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 7:36 am
The power supply on the Labophot is a safer bet and easy enough to find.
20w is plenty mostly.
Failed PSU for 6v 30w means getting another Labophot 2 that works or rig an external DC, then you can choose whatever G4 bulb as it's diffused by a 2 filter cartridge from underneath rather than critical pre focus.
Not all stages are compatible with the phase 2 1.25 condenser but phase can reduce resolution a little anyway.
Great modular scope to learn about servicing. fall guys

Good luck if it works out.
Thanks for this great information

JGardner

#6 Post by JGardner » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:21 pm

Phill Brown wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 7:36 am
Failed PSU for 6v 30w means getting another Labophot 2 that works or rig an external DC
Do these PSUs use any proprietary parts? If not, another option is to troubleshoot the PSU down to the component level and replace any bad parts.

blekenbleu

#7 Post by blekenbleu » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:54 pm

JGardner wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:21 pm
Do these PSUs use any proprietary parts?
If not, another option is to troubleshoot the PSU down to the component level and replace any bad parts.
The transformer is proprietary, but any transformer capable of about 6 Volts at 4-5 Amps would suffice.
Labophot's only other electronic components are a 1K Ohm potentiometer with switch, a bridge rectifier and (2N3716) power transistor.
Familiarity with a multimeter, soldering iron and heat shrink suffices.
Mine needed only repair of a corroded/eroded lamp contact.

Based on the image, lamp supply was evidently OK in the OP's microscope...
Metaphot, Optiphot 1, 66; AO 10, 120, EPIStar, Cycloptic