Microscope ID

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
MattFossen

Microscope ID

#1 Post by MattFossen » Fri May 20, 2022 5:42 pm

Does anyone happen to know what brand/model these scopes might be? They're available very cheaply for parts from a local university surplus, but I don't want to pull the trigger if they're known to be actual junk.

Thanks!
790580.jpg
790580.jpg (102.95 KiB) Viewed 663 times
790500.jpg
790500.jpg (138.37 KiB) Viewed 663 times

BramHuntingNematodes

Re: Microscope ID

#2 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Fri May 20, 2022 8:22 pm

Yeah those look to be 60s-70s era Bausch and Lomb Dynazooms in the finite version. That's the microscope I usually use. They're pretty neat and the top one at least has the zoom feature-- a continuous 1-2x zoom that makes the optovar seem clumsy in comparison. I have been looking for the cylindrical light insert for one of those for a while and would pay like $50 for one if you can get it cheap. Oh and one of the light centering screws on the bottom.

The fine-course focus on these is absolutely superlative, and they are quite large and heavy microscopes. My only complaint is that the head design sometimes gets out of alignment and you have to get in there with an allen wrench and mess with it a bit. Not too daunting though. There's no plastic anywhere on them either, and they have a clever built-in adjustable stop for stage height. I have the flat field version outfitted with flat field phase contrast stuff and another finite version like these outfitted with Nikon CF lenses as the adjustable stops and long travel of the focuser make it amenable to various finite setups. If you have multiple heads you could kind of use them like interchangeable nosepieces.

Ones with two dials on top have both the zoom and a trinocular port. Ones with only the dial on the right as opposed to the left as pictured in your first photo have the trinocular but not the zoom. Black ones with heads marked "FLAT FIELD" are the flat field version and can only accept B&L flat field lenses unless you take some of the optical elements out.

I think it's a really great scope.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

MattFossen

Re: Microscope ID

#3 Post by MattFossen » Fri May 20, 2022 8:38 pm

Great, thanks so much for the info!