Microstar IV - focus mechanism assembly

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
dtsh

Microstar IV - focus mechanism assembly

#1 Post by dtsh » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:40 pm

I have a couple of Microstar IV scopes which are missing parts and/or in rough enough shape that there's no point in saving the stand so I'd like to strip them to compact my boneyard a bit. Do any of you know of a thread, site, etc which details the assembly so I don't need to risk destroying one to figure it out for myself? The stands will make their way into my scrap bin and return again as some other cast parts.

apochronaut

Re: Microstar IV - focus mechanism assembly

#2 Post by apochronaut » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:26 pm

Usually it is one of four things or a combination. 1) One or more of the Belleville washers under the focusing knobs are cracked or possibly missing. Those washers and the flat shims are fairly carefully assembled to create the correct tension on the knobs. This one is a sleeper and is the result of more focusing problems than one would think. 2) The tiny ball bearing that rides on the cam can get damaged by rough handling : deformed or deformed enough that the balls start falling out. I bought a bunch of replacements from China for almost nothing and have fixed a few stands with them. They work perfectly but require a tiny amount if dressing of the shaft with emery. The original bearing is available but it is 20.00 or si with shipping.3) The cam can get damaged by rough handling as well : cracked or broken. That can be fixed with a metal cap or epoxy. 4) Over time the focusing column will wear sufficiently that it slides back with gravity. It is a shaft in a fibre bushing arrangement.There is some adjustment via hex screws to get the correct freedom of movement along with enough grip to prevent backslide.

They are generally easy to fix for someone that can sort out which size grater to use for their cheese.

If you are intent on parting them out, I can use a couple of parts. I have one that must have been serviced at an outboard motor shop.

dtsh

Re: Microstar IV - focus mechanism assembly

#3 Post by dtsh » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:07 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:26 pm
If you are intent on parting them out, I can use a couple of parts. I have one that must have been serviced at an outboard motor shop.
I am indeed wanting to part them out, I need to condense my collection and these are just in the way at this point. What parts are you looking for?