Microscope for a specific task

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Insect

Microscope for a specific task

#1 Post by Insect » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:37 am

Hello, first post here I have enjoyed watching microbehunter so I thought I would ask,

I have a few tasks I wish to perform with a microscope and seek advice

1) Video and photography of a 0.25mm diameter fluid port, i.e. a field of view of 2x3mm for this task, with a slightly deeper depth of field
2) Photography of insects, I currently use macro and 5:1 macro photography, etc.
3) Examination of endmills, deeper depth of field is required, these range from 0.7 to 10mm diameter.

#1 is the greatest priority, and a video can be seen here using a 5x magnification laowa lens: https://studio.youtube.com/video/c0XkVMaub-0/edit

Question:
1) Would a digital microscope as is sold for ~$300 on amazon provide a deeper depth of field than I am used to from compound microscopes and 5x macro from a DSLR?

2) I have an understanding of the physics of DOF: aperture, sensor size, magnification, sure, but is there any other variable which digital microscopes are exploiting which I am missing? There are some videos of endmill inspections whereby I see a great DOF, but their magnification is probably less, which explains it, maybe they are at 4x or so for most of them.

Thanks!

Scarodactyl

Re: Microscope for a specific task

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:10 am

There are no tricks for DoF unfortunately. Some really high end systems have tricks for very fast focus stacking though. A cheap* digital microscope is likely to have a relatively low numerical aperture and thus higher depth of field. Image quality is unlikely to be great on an all-in-one unit though.
*as in less than 4000 dollars new

These three tasks are not conducive to a single setup. If it really must be one scope, a higher end stereo microscope or macroscope would do all of the above but with compromises. A lower end one could be stretched to the task using auxiliary lenses to increase the range of magnifications but the image quality won't be so good. I doubt just about any stereo microscope could match the image quality you'd get from a laowa though.

If it were me I'd use three different setups. For 1, a compound microscope with a 10x objective or maybe just an objective direct to a dslr depending on if you need eyepieces. For 2, your laowa on a rail. For 3 a good used greenough stereo microscope--stereos arent best for photography but are the ultimate tool for mid magnification examination because of their true 3D view.

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:44 am

There are dedicated microscope cameras that have an on board stacking program which is set between a minimum and maximum focus point . This allows you to view your sample on a screen only. They run between 500 and $1600, depending on the mp. and shutter type.

MichaelG.

#4 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:48 am

Insect wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:37 am

#1 is the greatest priority, and a video can be seen here using a 5x magnification laowa lens: https://studio.youtube.com/video/c0XkVMaub-0/edit
Unfortunately, that link doesn’t work for me
… youtube wants me to upload sonething :?

For my own education though … I found this:
https://www.cameralabs.com/laowa-25mm-f ... ro-review/
… so at least I now understand your reference point.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MichaelG.

#5 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:33 am

The [now ancient] Zeiss Tessovar would give more adjustment, but [as Scarodactyl indicates] you are up-against the physics.

I suspect that a physically smaller sensor, with high pixel-density, and a shorter focal-length objective, might be the way to go … but can’t think of anything particular to recommend just now.

MichaelG.

Edit:__ You might start by looking at Navitar
Too many 'projects'

SWmicro

#6 Post by SWmicro » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:01 am

[/youtube]
MichaelG. wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:48 am
Unfortunately, that link doesn’t work
Unfortunately, he posted a link out of his YT editor.
Try this instead : https://youtu.be/c0XkVMaub-0

edit later to include a still clip from it,
Attachments
InsectStill.jpg
InsectStill.jpg (31.52 KiB) Viewed 1220 times

MichaelG.

#7 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:31 pm

Thanks for the corrected link

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'