Nikon SMZ (2?) Collimation problems.

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
reinislv

Nikon SMZ (2?) Collimation problems.

#1 Post by reinislv » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:57 am

Hello,
unfortunately my first post here will be about fixing collimation on a Stereo microscope which shows a bit of different image.
I have successfully aligned the collimation on compound microscope and some binoculars, but with this item I'm having problems.
I've disassembled the microscope head a bit and 'd be happy to get some guidance on what to do further.
I've also read some advices on how to align the view with concentric rings but I still have to try it.

There are some pics with internal screws, but I can't figure out which of them are for adjustments that i need. The yellow ones are behind the glass symmetrical to the ones visible in the front of the picture.
nikon1.jpg
nikon1.jpg (237.15 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
nikon2.jpg
nikon2.jpg (198.9 KiB) Viewed 2093 times

With binoculars and compound microscope it was pretty easy - I could align the view while looking through the optics on the fly.

Also, I don't want to start adjusting blindly and make the collimation even more off.
Any advice would be appreciated!

woyjwjl

Re: Nikon SMZ (2?) Collimation problems.

#2 Post by woyjwjl » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:32 am

I'm just curious, what broke the collimation? ;)
Micrographers from China, thanks to the forum for providing a platform for exchange

reinislv

#3 Post by reinislv » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:25 am

No idea, i bought it cheaply as "defect" hoping there would only be 2 screws for collimation adjustments (x and y) like my compound microscope and binoculars.

Also, the collimation error seems to be on the vertical axis only (relatively to viewing - upside down), so now I need to find just the one screw responsible for this axis without dis-calibrating the other ones while looking for the right one.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:03 am

A couple things to check.

First, if the error is small there is usually some way to move the position of the eyetubes where they attach to the prism housing. In your case it might be the top plate.

Second if a prism has moved, there's usually some telltale sign. Screws 1 and 4 and perhaps 11 to 14 are straps (maybe covers for 11-14) to hold the prisms in place. Screws 15 & 16 will hold the prism in place, perhaps bearing on some sort of plate or soft-tipped. But in most every case I've seen there will be dabs of optical cement to fasten the prisms in place once they're properly set. I'd take the covers off and take a look. If you can find a telltale crack or displacement in the cement, that might be the cause of a larger shift in image location.

You also want to be sure the proper eyepieces are in place; though the wrong ones or huge differences in diopter adjustment usually displace the image a bit in both x and y directions.

Scarodactyl

#5 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:55 am

Iirc this model is known for going out of alignment and being annoying to fix, but I can't remember who said so. It may have been a post somewhere on this forum.

FatBassPlayer

#6 Post by FatBassPlayer » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:13 am

This may seem unrelated, but I have successfully collimated a number of Newtownian telescopes, from 6" to 24". In all cases, the plate or clamp(s) holding the primary mirror had pairs of screws for adjustment. I suggest that in your first picture the screw pairs 2/3, 5/6, 7/8 are the equivalent of these collimation screws, where one of the pair will be a lock and the other will be for adjusting the angle of the plate holding the prism.

I hope this might be helpful.
Picasso is dead,
Mozart is dead,
Einstein is dead,
And I ain't feeling great.

imkap

#7 Post by imkap » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:28 am

Prisms are intimidating, but if severely out of collimation you don't have much choice but to fiddle. If you're calm, careful, stubborn and patient enough you should manage. :mrgreen:

You should find/try a collimated stereo to look at first, so you know what the result should be. Images on 2 tubes should not be identical on the stereo microscope, so that makes it a bit more complicated in my opinion.

Good luck

reinislv

#8 Post by reinislv » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:31 am

Hello, thank you all for your responses.

I did indeed manage to get the adjustments well enough with adding distancers between the nosepiece (is that what you call it?) and the plate with eyetubes - there were 3 screws so I could ajust the tube easily in both directions.
However, there is still some strain on eyes, mostly after watching through the microscope and returning to "real life" view. For me it's not really a problem but fot others who have tested it it was much worse, even to a point of feeling sick after switching the views and zooming in and out.

Regarding the prisms in my image no. 1 - strangely they are not really fixed to a position very much. I suppose the screws on the sides control their angle from sides but they slide up-and-downwards easily and is held in place just with the elastic plate on top of them. So no wonder that any sharp, but small impact could knock them in one or other direction.

Also, all screws in picture 2 were screwed in as far as they go and i could only unscrew them, - so it didn't feel like they're meant for back and forth adjustments.

Apart from all that I'm really impressed with the quality of this product, - the images are so sharp, the step-less zoom is supernice and the 3D feeling is impressive.

Scarodactyl

#9 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:47 pm

I am not sure if it's dangerous but I would not risk eye strain by using a misaligned stereo. Better to find a pod in working condition like an smz-2b.

reinislv

#10 Post by reinislv » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:17 pm

Thanks for the concern but I don't think it's really that bad/unhealthy.

I'm looking at the pics I took and thinking - shouldn't the metals cover the edges of the prisms? - I'm attaching a picture what I mean by it. The green contour is where maybe the metal edge should be?
If the metal would be there then the adjustment space of the metal plate for screws N. 11-12 / 13-14 would make more sense.
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (97.21 KiB) Viewed 1853 times

MichaelG.

#11 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:56 pm

I am not familiar with the SMZ, so can’t offer any real help … but I would suggest that you grab this and study it carefully:
https://archive.org/details/APracticalG ... ollimation

Ron Green was a member of our Manchester Microscopical Society, and very knowledgeable.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

imkap

#12 Post by imkap » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:01 am

There is a SMZ 10 repair manual available online, maybe it is similar.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/96945 ... mz-10.html

I don't think the metals should cover the edges...

reinislv

#13 Post by reinislv » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:29 am

Thanks again, I'll check those.

Another question - is it ok for a stereo microscope like this if I always get black fields obstructing the vision whenever I don't look in the center of the field? Is it connected to the eye relief parameter?
Any suggestions for good wide angle oculars for a microscope like this that wouldn't have this weakness?

imkap

#14 Post by imkap » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:41 am

reinislv wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:29 am
Thanks again, I'll check those.

Another question - is it ok for a stereo microscope like this if I always get black fields obstructing the vision whenever I don't look in the center of the field? Is it connected to the eye relief parameter?
Any suggestions for good wide angle oculars for a microscope like this that wouldn't have this weakness?
I think you should take some time to get used to the eyepieces, I had the same issue and not anymore. Setting interpupillary distance precisely is important and eyecups help too...