Can't figure this MicroZoom

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
BramHuntingNematodes

Can't figure this MicroZoom

#1 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:05 am

Now here's a B&L MicroZoom, 1 I think, the OEM head. Anyway, I have the flat field Bausch system pretty well figured out, with the Balplan objectives even, and I thought the microzoom used a similar semi-objective system. It's definitely not the same system, as I was unable to produce any image with a MicroZoom lens on the flat field microscope. I even took the head out for extended WD with the big chungus objectives. Also, I have here a sequence of the 2.25x, the 3x, a Leica C Plan 4x infinite TL objective, and the 5x.

2.25x MicroZoom

3x MicroZoom

4x Leica C-Plan

5x MicroZoom

I know the Balplan and flat field objectives have that back lens pack that adds a 5x factor to the image. Here it looks like the Leica C-Plan is less than the 4x on the objective.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Scarodactyl

Re: Can't figure this MicroZoom

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:38 am

They really are odd, aren't they? It would be a world class system if it had a better selection of native objectives--as is it's still quite neat, especially if you can get the rarer 0.8x or 'hr' 50x or the apo ulwd 50x, and the build quality is great.

BramHuntingNematodes

#3 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:23 am

The build quality is really superb, and those other objectives are available but the prices approach mitutoyo plan apos and, you know, they're not that good.

It would really great to find some other lenses that might work on it but that might be very difficult even figuring out how that might work. The C plan lens works ok but C plan objectives aren't very good in my experience and this one got kicked off my son's Microstar iv in favor of an old AO plan achro with an extension.

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:41 am

Every now and then they come up cheap, especially if you search all the variations (bausch, cambridge and leica) and also search for 'industrial' and 'hq' which are sometimes all they put in the title. The elwd apo objective is lower res than a mitutoyo but seems to have great ca control from the one photo I've seen. I'm also curious about the 0.8x, the mitutoyo 1x is OK but underwhelming

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:51 pm

I think it is the same concept as the flat field system but has a different focal length and perhaps corrective values, does it not? There is a rear achromatizing and field flattening lens in it too.

BramHuntingNematodes

#6 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:34 pm

The photo tube has an optic as well. Alas, looks like I will be adding the .8, 24x and either of the two good 50x lenses to the list .

apochronaut

#7 Post by apochronaut » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:46 pm

The Microzoom head and Balplan head are basically the same, except that many/most had dual diopters and there were Microzoom heads with 30mm tubes.

Both systems are infinity between the common rear objective lens and the telan lens, which they put between the deviating prism and beamsplitter, not therefore acting on the photo tube. The lens in the phototube is a telan lens, not a photo lens.