Zeiss axiolab RE

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
imkap

Zeiss axiolab RE

#1 Post by imkap » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:45 pm

Hi, a 90s Zeiss Axiolab popped up in the local classifieds. Although not close enough to go check it out... It looks good on pictures, the seller will send me a video today. The light is working and everything moves as it should. It has only 2 objectives, achroplan 10x and 100x and 2 eyepieces. Seller doesn't know anything about microscopes, he said he's open to offers... I'm thinking about offering a risk free offer, but still don't know much about these microscopes, so if you have some experience please say so... Are these nice to use? Are the 90s Zeiss optics prone to delamination too?

Thanks
Last edited by imkap on Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imkap

Re: Zeiss axiolab RE

#2 Post by imkap » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:09 pm

Here it is:

Axiolab re from 1996

Hobbyst46

Re: Zeiss axiolab

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:23 pm

That takes infinity corrected optics, so 160mm will not fit. I am not sure about the threard (RMS or not).
IC objectives tend to be much more expensive than 160mm ones. the same goes for the trinocular head. Buying them as separate pieces would probably cost even more than a complete system.
AFAIK the Zeiss flagship in research microscopes from that era was the Axioplan, with Axioscope following second. They were versatile and modular.

imkap

Re: Zeiss axiolab

#4 Post by imkap » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:43 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:23 pm
That takes infinity corrected optics, so 160mm will not fit. I am not sure about the threard (RMS or not).
IC objectives tend to be much more expensive than 160mm ones. the same goes for the trinocular head. Buying them as separate pieces would probably cost even more than a complete system.
AFAIK the Zeiss flagship in research microscopes from that era was the Axioplan, with Axioscope following second. They were versatile and modular.
Yes, I have no infinity corrected optics currently. Although with time I have filtered what I need out of the finite optics I currently own, so could probably sell my Zeiss finite lot, except for the ones I use on the GFL and buy a few infinite objectives with that money... This one does look very basic, not a flagship. Although I think they are modular too, probably the difference from Axioplan/phot is similar like between GFL, WL and Ultraphot in the 60s...

imkap

#5 Post by imkap » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:47 pm

Infinity optics should be simpler for photography? If I remember correctly one could take photos without an eyepiece?

viktor j nilsson

#6 Post by viktor j nilsson » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:14 pm

If you are seriously interested in microscopy and photomicrography, but has limited funding, I'd much rather spend my money on a 160mm Zeiss microscope, as these can reasonably affordably be equipped with a trinocular head, DIC, and fluorite/planapo objectives. With some careful shopping, you really can get 95% of the performance for 1/10 of the cost of a similarly equipped infinity scope.

If you have the same interest, but unlimited funding, I'd happily buy a DIC-equipped BX50/E600 or similar with plan fluorites or better. I think that would satisfy almost anyone. Prices for these fantastic microscopes have started to come down to a level that at least some hobbyists can afford, but they are still at the level of a half-decent car.

The axiolab would be fine for someone that just wants to look at pond life or mushroom spores or whatever, but isn't interested in photomicrography or exploring different illumination techniques.

Could still be a good buy it if the price is low enough. Always fun to try it out and pass it on.

imkap

#7 Post by imkap » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:57 pm

viktor j nilsson wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:14 pm
If you are seriously interested in microscopy and photomicrography, but has limited funding, I'd much rather spend my money on a 160mm Zeiss microscope, as these can reasonably affordably be equipped with a trinocular head, DIC, and fluorite/planapo objectives. With some careful shopping, you really can get 95% of the performance for 1/10 of the cost of a similarly equipped infinity scope.

If you have the same interest, but unlimited funding, I'd happily buy a DIC-equipped BX50/E600 or similar with plan fluorites or better. I think that would satisfy almost anyone. Prices for these fantastic microscopes have started to come down to a level that at least some hobbyists can afford, but they are still at the level of a half-decent car.

The axiolab would be fine for someone that just wants to look at pond life or mushroom spores or whatever, but isn't interested in photomicrography or exploring different illumination techniques.

Could still be a good buy it if the price is low enough. Always fun to try it out and pass it on.
Actually I'm quite happy with my GFL, didn't really think about upgrading yet.

This popped up this morning and as you said it might be good fun to try it out, I'm curious about infinity and also about the original lighting compared to my DIY LED on GFL... The Y axis on my GFL stage isn't very smooth, so I might scavenge the stage from the Axiolab. I'll talk about the price with the seller, as you said if it is low enough I might have some fun...

imkap

#8 Post by imkap » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:18 pm

It seems I'll have some fun these days :D I just called the guy and told him to send it. The price was low enough, but still fair for both parties...

blekenbleu

#9 Post by blekenbleu » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:02 pm

imkap wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:47 pm
Infinity optics should be simpler for photography? If I remember correctly one could take photos without an eyepiece?
An infinity objective can be arranged in front of a camera lens focused at infinity.
How well it works depends on whether that infinity objective depends on oculars (or a photo relay lens)
for corrections. For example, Olympus MSPlan and AO/Reichert infinity objectives want additional correction.
A fully corrected finite (e.g. Nikon CF for Labophot/Optiphot) objective can work well with a camera body and no other lens,
provided that about 160 (or 210) mm of extension tubes and other spacing separates objective and sensor.
Metaphot, Optiphot 1, 66; AO 10, 120, EPIStar, Cycloptic

imkap

#10 Post by imkap » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:19 pm

blekenbleu wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:02 pm
imkap wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:47 pm
An infinity objective can be arranged in front of a camera lens focused at infinity.
How well it works depends on whether that infinity objective depends on oculars (or a photo relay lens)
for corrections. For example, Olympus MSPlan and AO/Reichert infinity objectives want additional correction.
A fully corrected finite (e.g. Nikon CF for Labophot/Optiphot) objective can work well with a camera body and no other lens,
provided that about 160 (or 210) mm of extension tubes and other spacing separates objective and sensor.
Thanks for the info, I thought all infinity objectives can be used without eyepieces, apparently they can't. Probably Zeiss Achroplan needs an eyepiece?

blekenbleu

#11 Post by blekenbleu » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:40 pm

imkap wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:19 pm
Probably Zeiss Achroplan needs an eyepiece?
I've no Zeiss objective experience, but here is some Zeiss-specific practical information:
https://microbehunter.com/microscopy-fo ... 625#p50540

For completeness, some infinity microscopes' objectives may depend on corrections in their tube lens,
not just in ocular/relay lens.

imkap

#12 Post by imkap » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:15 pm

The thing arrived today, it's pretty dirty and the fine focus has some problem, I think something is stuck inside, hopefully not broken... I'll see tomorrow and think what to do. Anyway I'm happy with the transaction, objectives are fine, so I'll be ok anyway...

Also I have put the infinity corrected objectives on my GFL tube and they work, not so good, but you can see stuff through them... Not sure if this information has any purpose, but still I wrote it :mrgreen:

imkap

#13 Post by imkap » Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:01 pm

After some repairs it now works great, probably like new :D . There was a broken plastic piece on the focusing mechanism, so I made a new one from brass (last picture) so it will last... At first I glued the plastic thing, but after 4 days it broke. The brass thing actually works quieter than plastic, so I' quite happy with this. Everything else works great, the stage is much better than on the GFL.

The Axiolab is easier to repair than the GFL as everything is more accessible. No need to disassemble the whole thing and lose the alignment in order to reach a part. There is a smaller number of screws and half of them are Allen. The whole microscope housing is fixed so you don't have much room for error. 2 screws to align the stage/condenser assembly and that's it, apart from the turret and the head... The mechanics design is very similar to the GFL, just simplified and maybe better...
One could adapt a LED pretty easily as there is a lot of room inside the base to fit a big passive cooler, even a fan might fit somewhere... The transformer is 6V and pretty powerful, so one might use it for the led with a voltage converter. Or you could remove the transformer and all the electronics and plug the DC from the external adapter. Anyway it should be good... One thing I don't like is that there are no filter holders below the condenser, so I can't use darkfield patches, which is a shame... I like the wider field of view too.

I have no room or need for 2 microscopes :mrgreen: so I'll sell one of them soon... Not sure, but probably this one. I'll play around a bit and see.
DSC08321.jpg
DSC08321.jpg (118.38 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
DSC08323.jpg
DSC08323.jpg (81.28 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
DSC08317.jpg
DSC08317.jpg (89.25 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
Last edited by imkap on Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blekenbleu

#14 Post by blekenbleu » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:46 pm

there are no filter holders below the condenser
Possibly swap condensers?

imkap

#15 Post by imkap » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:56 pm

blekenbleu wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:46 pm
there are no filter holders below the condenser
Possibly swap condensers?
You mean swap the GFL and Axio condensers? No, GFLs is a smaller diameter and lower glass