[BH2] Can I add transmitted light DIC capabilities to a UMA-DIC microscope

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
axiverse

[BH2] Can I add transmitted light DIC capabilities to a UMA-DIC microscope

#1 Post by axiverse » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:21 pm

Hi I recently acquired a BH2-UMA with DIC microscope. I am interested in many things from chips to rocks for which I wanted the reflected light microscopy, but I would also like to use my microscope for biological purposes as well. I was wondering whether I would be able to stack a transmitted light DIC/phase contrast - BH2-NA set (if I can find one) in conjunction with the UMA.

In addition, would I still need the BH2-NA analyzer if I already have the analyzer from the BH2-UMA?

Thanks,
Aaron

axiverse

Re: [BH2] Can I add transmitted light DIC capabilities to a UMA-DIC microscope

#2 Post by axiverse » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:31 pm

In addition, I've noticed that the DIC attachments on the objectives are different for the UMA model (kinda like an orange slice) versus the transmitted light version (round). Are these essentially equivalent and just different models or do they function differently?

Scarodactyl

Re: [BH2] Can I add transmitted light DIC capabilities to a UMA-DIC microscope

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:56 am

They're very different systems. It might be possible to make it work, but the BH2-UMA only works with infinity objectives, and seems particularky optimized specifically for the infinity Splan and Mplan objectives. Nothing in that series is corrected for cover glass. You could probably put on modern UIS infinity Olynpus objectives but then you are just having to hope that the DIC prism in the nosepiece is compatible and you can find a condenser prism which matches.
It could possibly be done but it would be an involved and possibly expensive project with no guarantee of success.