NIKON YS2-H

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
BloodHammer

NIKON YS2-H

#1 Post by BloodHammer » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:30 am

Hello

I have 2 NIKON YS2-H microscopes, however I have an issue where one does not change the brightness of the illumination from when I turn the dial on. I am hoping someone can give me some advice regarding this issue. I have removed the illumination parts of the microscope with the issues and am thinking its the variable resistor causing the problems but i cannot find a suitable replacement part or even how to check that this is working correctly or not correctly. (have included 3 attachments)
Hopefully someone can assist me
Thanks in advance
Attachments
Variable Resistor 3a.jpg
Variable Resistor 3a.jpg (30.22 KiB) Viewed 774 times
Variable Resistor 2a.jpg
Variable Resistor 2a.jpg (27.92 KiB) Viewed 774 times
Variable Resistor 1a.jpg
Variable Resistor 1a.jpg (28.55 KiB) Viewed 774 times

PeteM

Re: NIKON YS2-H

#2 Post by PeteM » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:18 am

You can isolate the potentiometer from the rest of the circuit and check the resistance with a VOM (the Ohm meter portion). There looks to be a switch piggy backed on it, so you'll want to check that as well. For a typical "pot" you get the full Ohm rating across the two outer terminals and the middle one rotates to vary the resistance from center tap to either outer tap.

If you don't have one, usable (maybe up to household AC) VOM's can be had around $10 and are handy for many purposes.

jjtr1

#3 Post by jjtr1 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:40 pm

My YS2-H also has this problem, in addition to the lamp changing brightness on its own randomly. I'm going to change the lamp first, as it's old and the manual suggests it might be a symptom of the lamp approaching failure. Lamp is about $ 2 in my country.

I wish you good luck with your scope!

blekenbleu

#4 Post by blekenbleu » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:09 pm

Consider DeoxIT fader grease to restore the potentiometer.
https://caig.com/fader-f-series/
Metaphot, Optiphot 1, 66; AO 10, 120, EPIStar, Cycloptic