What parts needed to add DIC to Optiphot?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Dubious

What parts needed to add DIC to Optiphot?

#1 Post by Dubious » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:11 pm

I would like to accumulate (probably gradually via Ebay) the parts needed to add transmissive DIC to a Nikon Optiphot-2. Can anyone tell me what parts are needed, or point me in the right direction for the information? I'm also open to trying Frankenscopish solutions.

Thanks!

EVILsteve

Re: What parts needed to add DIC to Optiphot?

#2 Post by EVILsteve » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:27 am

You need the correct condenser that holds the prisms and the dic adapter that fits between the stand and the nosepiece. You can use either the dic parts from an optiphot 1 or 2 but they need to match as a set. The early version has the slider placed in the side of the adapter 90 degrees from the orientation the microscooe would face you. The later version has the slider canted at a 45 towards you. The prisms in the condenser will be oriented to match each configuration and do not work when mixed.

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:09 am

FWIW, if you happen across a mismatched DIC condenser at a good price, it's possible to rotate it 45 degrees in the condenser mount. Requires minor surgery to the stage support to get the last few degrees of rotation, but it works fine and still allows easy access to the condenser iris and controls.

It's also theoretically possible to change the orientation of each of the prisms inside the condenser. However, they're clear cemented in place. Using either heat or solvent near the prisms is not a step I'd be comfortable taking. I recall one person having success, though.

There's also a third type of DIC for Optiphots using individual prisms in a DIC nosepiece, more like the Eclipse DIC (but with different prisms). These parts, however, are very hard to find and pricey. I'm still looking for condenser prisms for this setup.

Dubious

#4 Post by Dubious » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:22 am

Thanks for the information. I'll try to educate myself as to the different configurations. Any idea what a reasonable price might be for a complete set of the needed DIC parts?

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:50 pm

A set of prisms, not including DIC compatible objectives, recently went for $2400. Given that complete scopes seems to be offered in the $5500 to $9000 range, that seems to be what to expect these days. One should be able to assemble a complete Optiphot 1 or 2 wth DIC for, say, $4000. It used to be less. Every once in a while someone lucks out at a lower price, but probably not on eBay.

You do want to get the right objectives. Some of the complete scopes I see on offer have E Plan objectives, which don't offer as good a DIC image as the recommended "CFN" objectives. These have a bit of ED glass in them, are better corrected, and generally (except the plan 100x) have higher numerical apertures. Given CFN objectives, I haven't found they need to be marked "DIC" or for polarization though. All the ones I've tried -- and I've used many - seem to be sufficiently strain-free. Could be there are some out there that won't not go to extinction with crossed polars (and thus not good for DIC), but I haven't seen them.

All that said, an Optiphot equipped with DIC provides outstanding images. The scope is a pleasure to use. The only limitation is that it doesn't include (in the first two types) a low power option. Still, most DIC will be wanted and most useful at 20x and above.

I might add that the matching of objectives is much the same with DPlan and SPlan objectives for Olympus DIC. You want the SPlan. SPlan Apos also work. DPlan - not as well (though some of the DPlan Apo are OK).

Buying a complete set of prisms is a big expense. However, it's pretty easy to spend both more time and more money buying parts one at a time. Easy enough to find one of several parts at an attractive price. Harder to find the last couple ones. At the very least be sure to get a complete upper prism setup or a complete lower condenser with prisms if buying on hope of finding the rest.

Dubious

#6 Post by Dubious » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:02 am

I have CFN objectives, so sounds like they may work for DIC, if I ever succeed in assembling the parts. Strange the DIC condenser for the Optiphot doesn't have a 10x prism, but it's true that if given a choice between 10x and 20x, I would choose 20x.

Are there any sources I should be checking for DIC parts, other than Spachoptics and Ebay?

Dubious

#7 Post by Dubious » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:46 pm

Does anyone know whether this Ebay item really is an intermediate DIC tube adapter for the Optiphot-2? It's described as "Nikon Optiphot-2 microscope UC DIC Intermediate Tube. The Nikon part number is 96001."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274364952364

It does look like the DIC tube adapter for the Optiphot and has "1.25" on the front; however, its slider slot is positioned slightly differently (judging from photos of the adapters I have seen) and does not look thick enough to accommodate the Nikon DIC-A slider. Maybe there is yet another variant?

PeteM

#8 Post by PeteM » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:10 pm

This is for the third type of Optiphot DIC, mentioned above (post #3). The slot takes a polarizer, not a prism. Instead a turret filled with individual prisms is meant to go below it.

Pretty pricey, given it has neither a DIC prism nor a polarizer/analyzer with it. And the type of Nikon Optiphot DIC you are least likely to be able to complete in my experience.

Dubious

#9 Post by Dubious » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:26 am

Thanks, Pete. Just noticed the following Optiphot-2 nosepiece on Ebay, with slots for DIC prisms (but no prisms installed), which I assume is the one that works with that DIC tube. Do you know if this configuration also requires its own condenser, or does the "Universal Con. A" still work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155091631101