Why is DIC so Expensive?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
JGardner

Why is DIC so Expensive?

#1 Post by JGardner » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:48 pm

Is it because the prisms are difficult to make? Or perhaps because the market is small, hence the need to set the price high to recoup development and production costs?

Tom Jones

Re: Why is DIC so Expensive?

#2 Post by Tom Jones » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:16 pm

Probably both. It's a research technique, and that implies a very small market. Research is generally funded through grants and that tends to support higher prices.

DIC was never intended to be an amateur technique, but I suspect now more amateurs utilize it than researchers, given the advent of newer fluorescent and super resolution techniques for research. Lots of amateur folks going after very few decommissioned, older research systems has the effect of keeping prices high.

Dubious

#3 Post by Dubious » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:33 pm

I've wondered why that, if the demand is there, Chinese and Indian manufacturers don't step in with reasonably priced DIC components--they seem able to make just about everything else. I suspect there is not enough demand, and that they make more profit concentrating on copying the lower end systems (without DIC).

BramHuntingNematodes

#4 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:42 pm

It's not that expensive seems like just a couple thousand could set you up more a wonder why phase is so cheap
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Scarodactyl

#5 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:58 pm

Dubious wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:33 pm
I've wondered why that, if the demand is there, Chinese and Indian manufacturers don't step in with reasonably priced DIC components
They have, it's just that 'reasonably priced' means something different for new optics vs used ones. We're benefiting from companies and universities throwing peefectly good optics away via surplussing and being able to buy them for pennies on the dollar half the time. But you can get a reasonably well reviewed Chinese DIC microscope for a fraction of what the big 4 charge.

woyjwjl

#6 Post by woyjwjl » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:16 am

Scarodactyl wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:58 pm
Dubious wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:33 pm
I've wondered why that, if the demand is there, Chinese and Indian manufacturers don't step in with reasonably priced DIC components
They have, it's just that 'reasonably priced' means something different for new optics vs used ones. We're benefiting from companies and universities throwing peefectly good optics away via surplussing and being able to buy them for pennies on the dollar half the time. But you can get a reasonably well reviewed Chinese DIC microscope for a fraction of what the big 4 charge.
To be honest, I have been following DIC in the Chinese market for almost a year now and have not found any so-called Chinese brand DIC microscopes ....

Related papers show that the making of prisms is a threshold and seems to be a matter of process rather than theory .....

As for the price, positive to what Tom was said, it is a large number of amateurs most seeking a small number of second hand sources .....

Research institutions prefer to use confocal or electron scanning techniques (for which price is not the first consideration) rather than old DIC ....
Micrographers from China, thanks to the forum for providing a platform for exchange

apochronaut

#7 Post by apochronaut » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:38 am

Bestscope BS 2081 has DIC. Catchbest Vision Technology is the company.

woyjwjl

#8 Post by woyjwjl » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:44 am

apochronaut wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:38 am
Bestscope BS 2081 has DIC. Catchbest Vision Technology is the company.
Thanks for the info...

Looks like this Chinese company makes DIC kits (infinity), guess I can get them for under $1000 in China .....

But, as a hobbyist, I wouldn't give up my OLYMPUS BHS for a DIC ....
Micrographers from China, thanks to the forum for providing a platform for exchange

Dubious

#9 Post by Dubious » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:31 am

Under $1,000? I wish... The person who reported on buying the DIC kit for his BS 2081 paid $3,000+, if I remember correctly, before shipping and customs taxes.

No, the Chinese/Indian manufacturers aren't making DIC components in quantity, or we would see them on sites like Amscope.com.

woyjwjl

#10 Post by woyjwjl » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:37 am

Dubious wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:31 am
Under $1,000? I wish... The person who reported on buying the DIC kit for his BS 2081 paid $3,000+, if I remember correctly, before shipping and customs taxes.

No, the Chinese/Indian manufacturers aren't making DIC components in quantity, or we would see them on sites like Amscope.com.
I have contacted them and will update here when I have a reply ....

deBult

#11 Post by deBult » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:29 am

woyjwjl wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:44 am
But, as a hobbyist, I wouldn't give up my OLYMPUS BHS for a DIC ....
Well: best of both worlds: a BH2 with DIC :twisted:

Dubious

#12 Post by Dubious » Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:54 pm

woyjwjl wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:37 am
Dubious wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:31 am

I have contacted them and will update here when I have a reply ....
Any luck getting DIC prices from Chinese/Indian manufacturers?

woyjwjl

#13 Post by woyjwjl » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:39 am

Sorry, no reply from www.bestscope.net, maybe as you say, this company does not produce DIC kits on a large scale .....

If you're asking how I got the DIC kit, I was just lucky enough to buy a BHS with the DIC kit .....

Dubious

#14 Post by Dubious » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:34 pm

woyjwjl wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:39 am
Sorry, no reply from www.bestscope.net, maybe as you say, this company does not produce DIC kits on a large scale .....

If you're asking how I got the DIC kit, I was just lucky enough to buy a BHS with the DIC kit .....
Too bad. It would be great if some enterprising Chinese or Indian company would step up and provide DIC components at a reasonable price; but I suspect the market for DIC is small, and they can make more money selling $300 microscopes...