Old Reichert microscope

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
imkap

Old Reichert microscope

#1 Post by imkap » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:49 pm

https://tinyurl.com/ReichertMic

Anyone knows what is this one called, or some info... I'm just curious :geek:

imkap

Re: Old Reichert microscope

#2 Post by imkap » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:07 pm

I actually found it is a Reichert Zetopan, just realized it is a trinocular... Condition seems quite rusty and it is huge

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... topan.html

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:15 pm

A transmitted fluorescence model. They had several quite nice 160mm 37mm parfocal objectives with irises they used for fluorescence. Great 100X 1.30. It would be nice if it had one of those. Pick up one of the oil toric DF condensers( they show up on ebay every now and then) . That illuminator will do the job nicely.

imkap

#4 Post by imkap » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:33 pm

I didn't buy it, it's on the classifieds. I think I'll pass, at least for now. Probably it won't go anywhere, considering the relatively high price, local microscope market speed and the size of the thing. So maybe in the winter if I get bored :mrgreen:

I thought it might have DIC as I've seen those sliders above the turret, but these are filters for fluorescence as you said...

imkap

#5 Post by imkap » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:00 am

apochronaut wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:15 pm
A transmitted fluorescence model. They had several quite nice 160mm 37mm parfocal objectives with irises they used for fluorescence. Great 100X 1.30. It would be nice if it had one of those. Pick up one of the oil toric DF condensers( they show up on ebay every now and then) . That illuminator will do the job nicely.
I found this toric condenser in a lot mentioned in an another thread, but won't take this microscope, as I don't need it. Do you think it should work with other microscopes, like Zeiss GFL or olympus bh-2, provided I make an adapter to compensate for the height difference if needed... Thanks

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:23 pm

The 2 factors you need to make a DF condenser work are Height , as you mention ; it must be able to make oil contact with the bottom of the slide. Mount; it must be secure and centerable. A toric type should give you good field coverage down to at least a 20X at 18 f.n. but likely more. The one I use is good to 10X at a 20mm f.n. I don't know the model of condenser you have so I am being conservative.
That's as long as the microscope puts up a good flat illumination beam.
For anything over about a 70X objective, the illumination needs to be quite powerful to get an adequately lit field.

It is also important to recognize where the lower N.A. limit of the condenser lies and how far you need to lower the N.A. of higher N.A. objectives in order to get a dark field. Your condenser may have a lower N.A. limit of 1.18 but any objective used with that will need to have an N.A. considerably lower. At some point I acquired a Reichert 63X 1.0 oil achromat. A 160mm tube length objective, such as would be used on a Zetopan for instance. It should have been a really good objective but using it in BF never Impressed me. Then one day, I unthreaded the rear diaphragm and to my surprise discovered that it had a funnel stop in it. It was reduced down to .90 or lower. Removing the funnel greatly improved BF performance. Take note of that for future high resolution objective choices.
Last edited by apochronaut on Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

imkap

#7 Post by imkap » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:59 pm

Ok, thanks. So it might work...

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:30 pm

A little edit above and typo fixes.