Binocular Head Issue

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
GerryR

Binocular Head Issue

#1 Post by GerryR » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:04 pm

I have two scopes with binocular heads, one an AO and one a Swift. The Swift has a Siedentopf head where the interpupillary distance is changed by a center pivot like on standard field binoculars. The AO unit is changed in linear fashion on a dovetailed fixture. I have no problems getting a single image with the AO unit once adjusted. On the other hand, no amount of adjustment on the Swift Siedentopf head renders a single image to my eyes (brain). I end up using it as a monocular scope. My question is if there is something that would cause this mechanically in the optical system or is it just my eyes/ brain?? I have checked all the optical paths and they are clean and stabile. So why does one system work and not the other? Any help appreciated.

Scarodactyl

Re: Binocular Head Issue

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:39 pm

It is easy for heads to get misaligned without obvious signs or marks. It was probably dropped at some point or maybe even made a little wrong.

GerryR

#3 Post by GerryR » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:55 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:39 pm
It is easy for heads to get misaligned without obvious signs or marks. It was probably dropped at some point or maybe even made a little wrong.
I was able to get this realigned by taking a slide and inscribing a crosshair on it using a carbide point. There were no adjustments on the oculars, but there was a single screw on the prism, which holds it in position. I was able to loosen it and move the prism into proper position getting a single crosshair when viewing. Done! You were probably correct in thinking it was jarred at some point causing the prism to move, and there were no external signs to indicate it was hit or dropped. Probably jarred during shipping. Thanks for your input!

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:58 pm

GerryR wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:55 pm
Scarodactyl wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:39 pm
I was able to get this realigned by taking a slide and inscribing a crosshair on it using a carbide point. There were no adjustments on the oculars, but there was a single screw on the prism, which holds it in position. I was able to loosen it and move the prism into proper position getting a single crosshair when viewing. Done! You were probably correct in thinking it was jarred at some point causing the prism to move, and there were no external signs to indicate it was hit or dropped. Probably jarred during shipping. Thanks for your input!
It is great that you solved this misalignment problem.