Olympus and Leica

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
JGardner

Olympus and Leica

#1 Post by JGardner » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:47 pm

I posted another thread a few days ago asking whether to update the objectives on my Universal or Orthoplan. At the time, I thought that was the best approach to getting higher quality objectives and PC. After looking at the offerings on eBay over the last two days, I'm starting to rethink that, primarily because most of the objectives and condensers I looked at look like they were either stored for decades in a damp basement or removed from a microscope with vise-grips.

Not being a tinkerer and not wanting to spend a lot of time hunting for parts on eBay, and returning parts that are not as described, I'm thinking that a better approach for me is to get a used, but more modern scope with the hope that available parts for it would be in better condition and won't be such a crapshoot.

I'm thinking of two possibilities: Olympus BX50 or Leica DMLB. Both are of much more recent vintage than an Orthoplan or a Universal and both are upgradeable to PC and even DIC.

Anyone have advice on the relative merits of these two systems?

Scarodactyl

Re: Olympus and Leica

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:56 pm

What's your budget range, and where are you located?

Microscopy_is_fun

#3 Post by Microscopy_is_fun » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:43 pm

JGardner wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:47 pm
I'm thinking of two possibilities: Olympus BX50 or Leica DMLB. Both are of much more recent vintage than an Orthoplan or a Universal and both are upgradeable to PC and even DIC.

Anyone have advice on the relative merits of these two systems?
I use a Leica DM 2000, which is quite similar to the DMLB. I am very happy with it. One of the benefits of the Leica DM series: You can start with a rather basic microscope stand, and later on upgrade to fluorescence, phase contrast or even DIC. There is also a large market for used objectives, some of them reasonably priced. You can use the current programme of Leica's infinity objectives. Leica's old finite objectives (160 and 170mm tube length), which you need for an Orthoplan, are quite outdated (although optically still very good), since their production stopped more than 3 decades ago.

The Leica infinity objectives are in my view really excellent regarding achievable image quality.

JGardner

#4 Post by JGardner » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:31 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:56 pm
What's your budget range, and where are you located?
$5000 California

Scarodactyl

#5 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:14 pm

You might want to consider a Nikon e800 as well. There are a couple promising ones on eBay right now. It's ultra heavy and big but a pretty nice piece of kit, and nikon 20x plan apos are still priced a bit lower thanks to the past influx of 100 dollar ones.

JGardner

#6 Post by JGardner » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:34 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:14 pm
You might want to consider a Nikon e800 as well. There are a couple promising ones on eBay right now. It's ultra heavy and big but a pretty nice piece of kit, and nikon 20x plan apos are still priced a bit lower thanks to the past influx of 100 dollar ones.
I took a look on eBay and all of the listings for the e800 in my price range are listed as "parts only". I'm looking for a complete microscope that I don't have to fiddle around with--not a "project" microscope where I have to fix things that don't work and/or hunt down missing parts.

PeteM

#7 Post by PeteM » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:48 pm

Both scopes are excellent and can be configured with similar quality objectives. Either one, complete and in good shape with good optics, would be a delight. Especially if you find a DIC scope complete and near your $5K budget. As Stephen suggests, the Nikon E600 and E800 series are also excellent, with E600 being the minimum requirement for DIC upgrades.

A common problem with the DMLB is a hitch in the two-speed fine focus. It can get stuck and when opened up to investigate, put back without the ball bearing detent. Two of them came to me this way. It's not a show stopper - the scope will still work fine but more like an old school stick shift than a synchroshift when/if you switch from regular fine to super fine focus.

You should know that there are two versions of Leica DMLB (and DMR) infinity optics - one with older Delta optics (objectives & head) and others with newer HC optics. Dealers will sometimes mix and match to the detriment of good corrections. "C" and "HiPlan" optics are towards the lower end of the plan achromat spectrum. "N" plan achromats have a wider field of view (nicely done in Leica). The plan fluorites and plan apos are very good and very pricey.

To my eye, Leica's 25mm thread objectives have better contrast than their Olympus equivalents. However, it's easier to find the proper relay objectives to hook up a full frame camera to Olympus.

You might look beyond just the BX50 model to other BX models, excepting the BX45. BX40's are the least expensive and can sometimes be found with the adapter for interchangeable turrets. All the models have after market LED conversions available to provide sufficient illumination.

Olympus UPlanFl and UPlanFL N objectives are excellent. The later "N" versions apparently have better coatings and deeper UV transparency, but both seem very close for brightfield, polarization, and DIC.

Bottom line - seems to me that condition, configuration, and price will trump brand name in any of the used scopes at this level.

viktor j nilsson

#8 Post by viktor j nilsson » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:55 am

I totally understand if you want to jump up to more modern infinity scopes. That said, there's a good-looking trinocular BH2/BHS with DIC and Splan objectives on eBay right now for $3950 BIN, looks like a good seller. Maybe not a bargain, but personally, if I were to spend that kind of money, I'd rather spend it on a scope that came with DIC.

Edit: and there's also a nice Nikon Optiphot-1 with DIC for $3,300, also looks like a good seller. I recently tried the Optiphot-1 DIC for the first time and found it very nice to use. Actually really nice.

Both are well built microscopes with good availability of parts and no major design flaws (like Zeiss delamination) besides some plastic parts that can be fixed. Again, I understand if you want a more modern scope, but it won't be easy to find a DIC-equipped BX50 or DMLB for under 5k.