Nikon Microphot-FX info and accessories

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Finelld

Nikon Microphot-FX info and accessories

#1 Post by Finelld » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:09 am

Greetings all,

I just acquired an old Nikon Microphot-FX research grade microscope. This is NOT the Microphot-FXA which appears to be much more common but is substantially different. This is far more complex than the average lab microscope and I am in need of factory instructions and a service manual if possible. If anyone has one of these I would really like to pic your brain on a few subjects.

Best Regards,

David Finell

zzffnn

Re: Nikon Microphot-FX info and accessories

#2 Post by zzffnn » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:37 pm

David,

There may be manual for FX for sale on eBay, if you search.

I have a Frankenstein’ed Optiphot which may have compatible parts with FX, but some parts are probably not compatible.

If you have specific questions or goals, please ask here. Many experienced forum members may be able to help you, even though they don’t have FX.

Best,
Frank

viktor j nilsson

#3 Post by viktor j nilsson » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:19 pm

Welcome aboard, your interests and expertise sounds like a perfect match for the magnificent Microphot-FX. I've admired that model for a long while.

I can also recommend the Nikon microscope user group on Facebook. There's a couple members there with Microphots that I'm sure will have good input.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:24 pm

David, if you search "Microphot FX pdf" things like a university operating manual will pop up.

The FXA is mechanically very much the same, with a slightly more "modern" 35mm camera control system and dual side ports for Nikon F camera mounts on the top piece. More documentation seems to be available for it.

My own Microphot is the FXA model - and once all the obsolete film camera controls are stripped out would be much like your FX once/if you stripped out it's own even more obsolete film camera controls. Meaning that documentation for things like the amazing fine focus control and various options would be much the same. While these are massive scopes and not for everyone due to the space requirements, they represent the pinnacle of microscope build quality in my opinion. Used parts are still out there to configure them with most any option or quality of optics you might want. Congratulations.