Infinity and 160 mm objectives

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Gigi

Infinity and 160 mm objectives

#1 Post by Gigi » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:26 am

I've put an infinity objectives on one of my microscopes that is 160 mm and all works, the image looks good, does it make any sense or there could be some problems using the infinity on 160 mm set up in the future?
Thanks for all help!

imkap

Re: Infinity and 160 mm objectives

#2 Post by imkap » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:41 am

I did try that too, but can't say the image was very good. If you have them and you're satisfied then use them.

apochronaut

Re: Infinity and 160 mm objectives

#3 Post by apochronaut » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:41 am

You get an image but It will likely lack some attributes of a really good image. Usually there is some spherical aberration, lack of full correction off axis and loss of contrast. Sometimes the image is really lousy.
Still there are some oddities out there. I know of one microscope model made in China , that has been sold under several brands. It is a pretty high end model with a 23mm f.o.v., 100 watt facility, fuorescence, pol available. Identical stands are in existence with both 160/.17 and ∞/.17 marked on identical objective barrels. I own one of the simpler versions if it with infinity objectives but have not had an opportunity to use a 160mm objective in it. The real test would be going the other way.

Another example exists with a Lomo 100X 1.3 Fl. objective w./iris. It again exists as both an ∞ version and a 160 version. You can only tell them apart based on that mark. Both appear to work identically in a 160mm system, although it has been suggested that in this case, the removeable barrel shroud from an ∞ objective was substituted for the 160mm one.