Olympus SZ40 base illumination - darkfield

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
imkap

Olympus SZ40 base illumination - darkfield

#1 Post by imkap » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:26 pm

Hi, I have once looked through a bigger Olympus stereo microscope at my friend's lab. I think it might have been a SZX12.

It had bottom illumination with darkfield, I'd like to achieve this on my SZ4045.

I've looked into the brochure and there are 2 add ons which can be added to get the same effect. The SZ-ILA and SZ-ADD, so if anyone has a spare please say...

As these are quite rare, or I can't find them, I think that some DIY might be needed, so I was wondering if any of you did a similar thing for your stereo, to give me some idea where to start... Although the base does seem a bit more common than the darkfield add on.

Thanks

PeteM

Re: Olympus SZ40 base illumination - darkfield

#2 Post by PeteM » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:37 am

AmScope and others sell a generic darkfield unit that can replace a stage plate. You might find it satisfactory.

There are also brightfield sources, with at least one LED version previously reviewed on this site.

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:48 am

I have a large number of the darkfield condensers amscope sells new in box which I sell for a lot less. Got a big box at a discount. They're OK, there are better systems but they're ueually a lot more expensive and involved.

imkap

#4 Post by imkap » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:00 am

PeteM wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:37 am
AmScope and others sell a generic darkfield unit that can replace a stage plate. You might find it satisfactory.
Thanks I wasn't aware of that...
Scarodactyl wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:48 am
I have a large number of the darkfield condensers amscope sells new in box which I sell for a lot less. Got a big box at a discount. They're OK, there are better systems but they're usually a lot more expensive and involved.
Great, I'll send you a PM