Magnification of 160 mm Seidentopf bino-heads

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
jjtr1

Magnification of 160 mm Seidentopf bino-heads

#1 Post by jjtr1 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:02 pm

Hi all,
I'm wondering what is the magnification factor of twist-type (Seidentopf) bino heads on 160 mm microscopes? Or rather, are there any 1.0x heads of this type? The optical path length on these looks outwardly to be so much longer than on slide-type (Jentsch) heads that it can't possibly keep the 160 mm distance. Or am I missing something?

On some scopes from 1950s (Zeiss, Meopta), I've seen "1,5x" engraved on a Seidentopf head, but newer scopes lack any such marking. Interestingly, I've also seen "1,25x" on a Jentsch head (PZO).

Thanks!

apochronaut

Re: Magnification of 160 mm Seidentopf bino-heads

#2 Post by apochronaut » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:06 pm

All heads would be purpose built and intimately ccordinated to the system they were designed for. Sometimes in order to provide an ergonomic architecture to the microscope it is necessary to have the eyepiece height and tube angle just so. I know of one instance where in order to have the Jentsch type head where it needed to be, it had to have a longer optical path. In this case an apochromatic compensating optic was installed in the yoke in order to retain the tube length at 160mm.
It is possible that such a condition exists with a specific Seidentopf head but there is no intrinsic difference between the internal tube length of the two designs.