Reichert 1711

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Plasmid

Reichert 1711

#1 Post by Plasmid » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:05 am

Does anyone happen to know or has a spec chart with the Epi cubes that were available for the Reichert 400 series

apochronaut

Re: Reichert 1711

#2 Post by apochronaut » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:13 pm

There was one on line at one time. It was put up by Reichert Technologies which had a lot of AO , Reichert and Bausch & Lomb manuals available due to their Reichert Microscope Service business that worked out of the Reichert Technologies Opthalmic Instrument factory ; the former AO plant.The microscope service business closed down about 4 or 5 years ago but they kept the manuals up. The last time I looked they were still there but I can't find them now.
My recollection is that there were 6 cubes but 2 of them were very uncommon and very special purpose. I know there was a 1713 because I have one in my hand and I have 3 more but temporarily ferreted away and not easily recoverable.
I cannot provide any specs. but there is a manual for the 110/120 version at the bottom right of the manual page of Neeley's site. The illuminator is very similar, just different cube #'s but the specs. are there for 4 and there may be a way of referencing them over. My guess is that they are the same specs. The lamphouse is different between the two but the cube housing seems identical.

wabutter

Re: Reichert 1711

#3 Post by wabutter » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:28 pm

I had some old literature that provided some detailed information. After the specs is my commentary of the applications and image information.

1711 was used with Auramine stain. (436/450/GG475) This was common for TB bacillus that had excitation in the 436nm range and emissions in the in the yellow to red range. Although the barrier filter cut off emissions below 475nm, it resulted in a somewhat noisy background when compared to the cell that were fluorescing.
1712 was used for FITC (B12/510/OG515) Blue excitation with wide band pass excitation. See comment above regarding the background noise. When narrow band filters become more affordable they quickly replaced these filter for diagnostic work. Especially when quantification of a titer was needed such as with an ANA test.
1713 High Performance FITC. (490/510/520) This is typically the standard spec for FITC today. Blue excitation with green emission Much better forground to background contrast was possible improving the quantification process.
1714 Rhodamine (546/560/OG590)

The filter specs with the letter designation is the Schott number for the filter so spectral information should be readily available.

These were the standard filter offerings from Reichert for the Microstar IV and Diastar. Keep in mind these were essentially scopes that were targeted to the hospital market for diagnostic work and had use for specific applications in that location. Reichert also had a special jobs department that built special filter cubes, one that comes to mind was for Calcoflor white. Typically with excitation in the 360nm to 400nm , and emissions in the 450nm range. This was used more frequently in public health rather than a mycology lab in a hospital.