Compatibility between Nikon S dovetail and Optiphot/labophot Head dovetail

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Jose Antonio Mena

Compatibility between Nikon S dovetail and Optiphot/labophot Head dovetail

#1 Post by Jose Antonio Mena » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:47 pm

Hi everybody:

I have a doubt regarding the dovetail juntion betwen the heads and frames/stands of the Nikon S-Series and the Labophot and Optiphot series: are they compatible betwen them?

Can a nikon S atachment (epi-iluminator, analyzer...) be used in a Optiphot microscope?

best regards and thanks.

Jose Antonio

PeteM

Re: Compatibility between Nikon S dovetail and Optiphot/labophot Head dovetail

#2 Post by PeteM » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:19 am

Jose, my recollection is that the Nikon S and Optiphot/Labophot dovetails are all around 48.5mm in diameter. So, physically, they should fit.

The S will have a smaller field number. It might also be (no recollections here) that there are slight differences where the 160mm short barrel and long barrel stand and head optics pick up the image. If you already have the adapter, no harm in trying it and seeing if you're happy with the somewhat smaller field of view and possibly some discrepancy in tube lengths.

zzffnn

#3 Post by zzffnn » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:08 am

Older black Nikon heads have two types of view field, the wide field one works well on Optiphot / Labophot for photography.

The narrow field heads come mostly from model G and lower end models, but otherwise look identical (except for the wider bottom lens).

Without having them side by side, it may be difficult to ID which is which.

Jose Antonio Mena

#4 Post by Jose Antonio Mena » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:48 pm

Thanks very much Pete and Zzff:

The question is about to use a S-type polarizing attachment (analizer plus wave retarder, plus Bertrand lens), in an optiphot /labophot system.

I Have seen one of this devices from a S-POL type microscope in ebay and I would like to know if it will fit and work in my equipment.

To have a smaller view field I think that is a small problem, compare with the advantage to have this attachment in my microscope, that is dificult and expensive to find...

I undertand that the attachment have a TELAN optical system in order to mantain the 160mm optical path, and its work and function isn´t related with the difference of objetives barrel legth and the position of the intermediate imagen between objectives and oculars, isn´t it so?

Thank for your advice

Jose Antonio

Jose Antonio Mena

#5 Post by Jose Antonio Mena » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:28 pm

Hi

Information for anyone that could need it.
I have tried, and the old dovetail of the Nikon serie S microscopes in the coupling between the head and the body/frame of the microscope match with the labophot / optiphot one.

best regards

Jose Antonio