measurements of Reichert Zetopan deviating prism lever

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
brettpim

measurements of Reichert Zetopan deviating prism lever

#1 Post by brettpim » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:07 pm

The lever for moving the deviating prism between the binocular/monocular eyepiece tubes and photo tube on a Reichert Zetopan has the following dimensions:

M2x0.4 thread of length 2.5mm
3mm diameter rod for 19mm
handle of length 10.5mm
total length 31.9mm
deviating_prism_lever.jpg
deviating_prism_lever.jpg (185.64 KiB) Viewed 700 times

ldflan

Re: measurements of Reichert Zetopan deviating prism lever

#2 Post by ldflan » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:05 pm

Are you making some, or having some made? These are frequently snapped off. I could use at least one myself...

brettpim

#3 Post by brettpim » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:01 pm

I asked my friend with a machine shop if we could make them but he did not have die to make this thread and said, even if he did, it is very tricky to make such a small thread. So I just bought these on ebay instead. The hex-head has a knurling so it is convenient to hold.

The biggest challenge when they snap off is to get the snapped-off end out of the prism mechanism without damaging the female threading! I have had some luck with a very thin drill bit worked by hand, but I also damaged some threading this way too.

Mainly I was posting this for information's sake. As I get to know my Reichert Zetopan, I am posting things I figure out that are not (as far as I can find) easily found on internet.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:10 am

FWIW, the easy way to make something like this is to machine everything but the small thread; drill and tap a hole in the end; and then Loctite in a 2mm setscrew.