What should I do with this microscope Axiovert 405M

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
dtrinh

What should I do with this microscope Axiovert 405M

#1 Post by dtrinh » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:43 pm

Hi everyone,
I just bought a Zeiss Axiovert 405M out of curiousity. It is an inverted reflected metallurgical microscope, and is motorized (which the M stands for; you change the objectives using buttons). It comes with a set of 5x, 10x, 20x, 50x, and 100x EpiPlan NeoFluoar HD DIC in very good condition (after cleaning by 10% KOH to remove all the dusts and fungi on the front lens as suggested in the forum). There is only bright field, no DIC filters or anything.
Online image:
The micrscope seems to work well. One can place a very big and heavy object onto the stage.
My situation is that I will come back to my original country in a few months, and I can't bring it with me. It is very heavy, 24-25kg; i did not expect that. So I have two options here:
- Sell it as it is.
- Keep the objectives and sell the rest, and find a stand (with a nosepiece) in my new place to set up a new microscope. But I am not sure how compatible the objectives are. I have no experience with metallurgical microscope. Is it OK to use these objectives on an upright microscope?
I am happy to hear your suggestions.
Thank you very much!
Cheers,

Hobbyst46

Re: What should I do with this microscope Axiovert 405M

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:47 pm

Just a feeling.
Zeiss AXIO optics are infinity corrected so will only fit in a relatively modern Zeiss microscope, not the 160mm Standard models.

They are also quite expensive on the used market.

The thread of your objectives is very likely not RMS but M25/M26/M27, I do not know. So they will (possibly) fit an upright Zeiss metallurgical AXIO microscope. And I believe they will not fit other makes like Nikon or Leica, even if the thread is the same. Just belief.

The illuminator will probably fit other Zeiss AXIO microscopes (including upright), yet fit on other microscopes via tailored adapters. In the past I used a Zeiss illuminator on an Olympus microscope. Via a milled aluminum adapter.

Your microscope is really most valuable as a complete working unit, so I would try to sell it as such.

Otherwise, I would keep the objectives, eyepieces, illuminator and condenser and sell them later separately.
Unless your final ambition is building a complete Axio microscope of some sort. For which you will need a stand. I doubt the cost is worth it.

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:26 pm

The EpiPlan objectives won't be well suited to using with slides and an upright microscope. Instead, they lexpect reflected light and are "no cover" types - designed for use without cover slips. If so, above 20x or so, they'll give poor results with regular microscope slides.

It looks like a very capable microscope for its intended use. Assuming you bought it at a good price, I'd think you'd be able to sell it complete without too much effort. At the right price (and near enough that shipping wouldn't cost an arm and a leg) there's surely someone here or on one of the other forums who would buy it if you don't want to do Ebay.

dtrinh

#4 Post by dtrinh » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:40 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:47 pm
Just a feeling.
Zeiss AXIO optics are infinity corrected so will only fit in a relatively modern Zeiss microscope, not the 160mm Standard models.

They are also quite expensive on the used market.

The thread of your objectives is very likely not RMS but M25/M26/M27, I do not know. So they will (possibly) fit an upright Zeiss metallurgical AXIO microscope. And I believe they will not fit other makes like Nikon or Leica, even if the thread is the same. Just belief.

The illuminator will probably fit other Zeiss AXIO microscopes (including upright), yet fit on other microscopes via tailored adapters. In the past I used a Zeiss illuminator on an Olympus microscope. Via a milled aluminum adapter.

Your microscope is really most valuable as a complete working unit, so I would try to sell it as such.

Otherwise, I would keep the objectives, eyepieces, illuminator and condenser and sell them later separately.
Unless your final ambition is building a complete Axio microscope of some sort. For which you will need a stand. I doubt the cost is worth it.
Hi Hobbyst46,
You are right, it should not dissemble a fine working machine. That is not cool :)
Thanks for your reply!

dtrinh

#5 Post by dtrinh » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:41 pm

PeteM wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:26 pm
The EpiPlan objectives won't be well suited to using with slides and an upright microscope. Instead, they lexpect reflected light and are "no cover" types - designed for use without cover slips. If so, above 20x or so, they'll give poor results with regular microscope slides.

It looks like a very capable microscope for its intended use. Assuming you bought it at a good price, I'd think you'd be able to sell it complete without too much effort. At the right price (and near enough that shipping wouldn't cost an arm and a leg) there's surely someone here or on one of the other forums who would buy it if you don't want to do Ebay.
Hi PeterM,
It is so pity that objectives are not more universal :D
You are right, I should sell the whole nice working machine
Thank you for the reply!

Sure Squintsalot

#6 Post by Sure Squintsalot » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:05 pm

Agreed, you should sell it as a complete, functioning unit. It's really quite beautiful!