Wild M450 Epizoom

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
zzffnn

Wild M450 Epizoom

#1 Post by zzffnn » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:01 am

My Wild M450 has arrived and works really well.

Image quality is so much better than my Bausch & Lomb Stereozoom 7 at all magnification levels, especially at high mag.

Range magnification is about 16-80x with 10x eyepieces, 2x aux lens and stock zoom objective. NA is about 0.2 at max, more or less. Without aux lens, I got around 8-40x NA around 0.1.

It came with 2x aux lens, however that aux lens can be easily screwed off, even though online documentation says such 2x is not removable on M450 Epizoom.

A no-name Chines “0.5x WD165” screws on perfectly and produce nice sharp images, which is low in CA and has a flat field. I tested with printed ink dots.

Field width and working distance is very impressive.
With a pair of Olympus 15x FN16 eyepieces: with 0.5x aux lens, I got field number of 36mm at lowest magnification and working distance of 165mm; with stock zoom lens without 2x sun lens, I got FN 19mm and WD 97mm; with 2x lens, I got FN 10mm and WD 35mm.

CA is visible at higher magnification in out of focus areas, but well controlled in in-focus areas. Images are bright and sharp. Diaphragm controls depth well.

Images and more details can be found here on the Wild Microscope Facebook group:
https://m.facebook.com/groups/108546253 ... 569804971/

Now I need to find a wide field focusable 10x that can produce decent parfocality. I found that B&L UWF 15x ‘s do not work well in terms of parfocality, but Olympus 15x works quite well.