Swift sw380t vs zeiss

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Mandintine

Swift sw380t vs zeiss

#1 Post by Mandintine » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:36 pm

Hey guys I just purchased a swift SW380T from amazon for roughly $389(its on the way). I have been simultaneously speaking to a microscope specialty store near me that has a zeiss research microscope that he will sell me for $650. I'm still waiting to find out what model exactly but the gentleman told me it was a university microscope. Would it be a no Brainer to just return the swift and get the zeiss? It's only a couple hundred more. Thanks for your input!

imkap

Re: Swift sw380t vs zeiss

#2 Post by imkap » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:44 pm

Mandintine wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:36 pm
Hey guys I just purchased a swift SW380T from amazon for roughly $389(its on the way). I have been simultaneously speaking to a microscope specialty store near me that has a zeiss research microscope that he will sell me for $650. I'm still waiting to find out what model exactly but the gentleman told me it was a university microscope. Would it be a no Brainer to just return the swift and get the zeiss? It's only a couple hundred more. Thanks for your input!
I never tried a Swift, but some forum members here are happy with Swift or similar microscopes and produce excellent footage with them. I think one can enjoy using it and it is new therefore it all should be working perfectly out of the box.

Zeiss is making microscopes since mid 19th century, so there a lot of models which you could find, some better some worse (in terms of usability for us amateurs)
So Zeiss may or may not be better, depending on what is included in the $650 package and which model it is and what you want to do with it. I wouldn't pay $650 for a binocular Zeiss with simple plan optics and a regular brightfield condenser, but if it's trinocular, has a some kind of a better condenser for darkfield or phase contrast and a good light it might be worth it. See which model it is and how old, maybe ask here if you want.

e.g. I had a Zeiss Axiolab and didn't like it at all as the original lighting method was in my opinion badly executed. You could never get a uniformly lit field on it, I think the light bulb was too close to the optics. It's pretty small and light therefore professionals might have some use out of it maybe as a travel scope or similar, so Zeiss might have had some reason why to make it this way, or they just missed with this model, I'm not sure. Some people list these on eBay for 500-1000$, I don't think they're worth remotely close to this.

I own a Zeiss standard GFL, which was a Zeiss 60s model and it is great and I love it, but didn't pay 650 for it. I had to do some DIY to get it working and it is still good, although I now use a different microscope. Still with good optics (APO) and a good condenser and in good condition it might be worth 650$.
Good thing about older microscopes is that you might be able to get more accessories for it at good prices if you're patient and lucky. All depending on what you want.

Mandintine

#3 Post by Mandintine » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:54 pm

Hey thanks so much for your thoughtful reply! I will wait to see the zeiss microscope in person, see what specs/model it is and then make a desicion.

Phill Brown

#4 Post by Phill Brown » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:06 am

My experience of ex university equipment is it's often had attempts to service by well meaning individuals with limited experience.
One careful owner, the marine biology lab, just add salt.