How do I fix slide holder wobble on CH-2 mechanical stage (CH-MVR)?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
dirigibil

How do I fix slide holder wobble on CH-2 mechanical stage (CH-MVR)?

#1 Post by dirigibil » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:36 am

I have a CH-2 with mechanical stage CH-MVR. I got it used and it has been (and is) pretty much fine. However there is a slight wobble / gap in the stage where it holds the slide. See pictures and video. Can anyone help me get started adjusting this so that it is minimized? Failing that, if this is normal, not possible, or beyond the ability of what would be considered a somewhat skilled and experienced electronics technician please let me know. I appreciate any help provided.

Video: https://imgur.com/a/bPj0iIi
Attachments
IMG_4731.JPG
IMG_4731.JPG (145.24 KiB) Viewed 661 times
IMG_4730.JPG
IMG_4730.JPG (117.3 KiB) Viewed 661 times
IMG_4728.JPG
IMG_4728.JPG (104.91 KiB) Viewed 661 times
IMG_4727.JPG
IMG_4727.JPG (87.46 KiB) Viewed 661 times
IMG_4726.JPG
IMG_4726.JPG (104.97 KiB) Viewed 661 times

Tom Jones

Re: How do I fix slide holder wobble on CH-2 mechanical stage (CH-MVR)?

#2 Post by Tom Jones » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:21 pm

No, it shouldn't be over your head. Take your time, maybe take pictures so you know where things go as you take it apart.

Know that Olympus uses JIS screws. They look like Phillips but are not. JIS fit a lot better than Phillips. I use these: https://www.amazon.com/Hozan-JIS-4-JIS- ... 132&sr=8-5

You probably already have, but check the two knurled attach knobs to be sure they are both tight. If they are, remove them to be sure there is no debris under the arm. If it's clean, see if you can shim it back into place when you put the screws back in.

I don't have one to look at right now. Maybe another week or so as I'm currently snowed in. I live in the mountains of SoCal and can't get to my lab/shop.

dirigibil

#3 Post by dirigibil » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:37 am

Tom Jones wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:21 pm
No, it shouldn't be over your head. Take your time, maybe take pictures so you know where things go as you take it apart.

Know that Olympus uses JIS screws. They look like Phillips but are not. JIS fit a lot better than Phillips. I use these: https://www.amazon.com/Hozan-JIS-4-JIS- ... 132&sr=8-5

You probably already have, but check the two knurled attach knobs to be sure they are both tight. If they are, remove them to be sure there is no debris under the arm. If it's clean, see if you can shim it back into place when you put the screws back in.

I don't have one to look at right now. Maybe another week or so as I'm currently snowed in. I live in the mountains of SoCal and can't get to my lab/shop.
Thanks for the tip about the screw heads. I have drivers for them (I do vintage audio repair work -- lots of Japanese screws!).

I managed to get it apart (though I only loosened the spring loaded curved slide-catcher enough to de-grease and re-lube) and back together and it isn't much (any?) better but I will await further instruction instead of messing with it more.

I have a follow-up questions regarding the stage:

1. The slide-holder seems to be made out of a coated brass or copper. Parts of it when cleaned showed immediate oxidation (green/gray layer) which I gave a very light oil-coat to mitigate. Should I worry about this?

2. The flat stage itself (slide table?) has rough wear on it. Enough that I would immediately consider sanding and repainting with enamel. Is this advised?

Tom Jones

#4 Post by Tom Jones » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:52 pm

I wouldn't worry about the loss of plating on the slide holder. It's a common wear issue. As long as you've cleaned off the corrosion it should be fine.

I have sanded and painted quite a few stages that where the original paint was damaged. I doubt it makes much of a functional difference, but it looks a lot better. I use Black Dupli-Color Ceramic Ford Semi-Gloss Engine Paint. Amazon has it. It will last longer if you can bake it on.